| User Rating:
Softpedia Editor's Review for F-Secure Antivirus
An intuitive application that protects you against viruses and spyware without slowing down your computer or affecting its overall performance
Written by Elena Opris on November 23rd, 2012
F-Secure Antivirus is a security system that assists you in removing viruses, spyware and other infections from your computer.
After a long installation process, the software performs an automatic update, which takes a long time as well. Once you have initiated F-Secure Antivirus, you are acquainted with ad user-friendly interface.
There aren't many features available in the antivirus system, so beginners should not have a difficult time understanding how it works.
In the main window you can access the current status of the virus and spyware scanning, of the scheduled tasks and DeepGuard, but you can also view general statistics.
Virus and spyware scanning can be enabled to scan and remove viruses from e-mails but also block tracking cookies, while DeepGuard can be set to use advanced process monitoring.
Scheduled scanning can be performed once or at a regular time interval, even after the computer goes into idle mode, while manual scanning can be configured to scan only known file types (which is faster), scan inside compressed files, or to use advanced heuristics (which is slower).
You can run a scan for viruses and spyware, a full system scan, or a customized scan. A full system scan takes a long time to complete, but F-Secure Antivirus is thorough.
Furthermore, you can change connection settings, restore or delete a file or program that has been quarantined, and allow a program to start if it has been blocked by F-Secure.
F-Secure Antivirus proves to be a reliable antivirus system that uses a moderate amount of computer resources, although other processes run slower.
F-Secure Antivirus description
Here are some key features of "F-Secure Antivirus":
- Powerful Security:
- Anti-Virus: Lets you open eMail attachments and use your computer without any fear of virus infections, spyware intrusion or malicious programs that can take over your computer
- Anti-Spyware: Protect your privacy by preventing spyware and hackers from entering your computer
- DeepGuard 2.0: New proactive DeepGuard 2.0 technology protects you against any unknown threats
- Performance: The anti-virus software working from behind the scene
- Advanced Technology:
- Enhanced detection performance and reduced system overhead
- Automates all key tasks required to keep your computer and data safe from viruses
- Keeps you safe against the unknown targeted attacks, or so called zero-day-attacks, and rootkits
- Web Traffic Scanning guards you against websites that can infect your computer even if you do not download anything from the website
- Multiple scanning engines identify different type of malware bringing you the very best in malware detection and disinfection
- F-Secure DeepGuard 2.0 introduces network based recognition of suspicious software while improving the accuracy and speed of response to new outbreaks of malicious code
- Special Features:
- Security news about virus outbreaks is delivered straight to your computer
- Immediate reaction times and fast cures during new and emerging threats ensured by F-Secure Research Team working 24 hours a day
- Easier & faster installation with less user interaction
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent
- Memory requirements: minimum 512 MB
- Disk Space: 800 MB free HD space
- High speed Internet connection to validate your subscription and receive updates
- [b]What is the Real-time Protection Network?
- F-Secure's Real-time Protection Network is an online service which provides rapid response against Internet-based threats.
- The Real-time Protection Network uses reputation services to obtain information about the latest Internet threats. You can help us develop the service further by contributing detailed information, such as sources of intrusive programs or messages, and behavioral and statistical analysis of the use of the computer and the Internet.
- When the Yes, I want to participate in the Real-time Protection Network check box is selected on the Privacy tab, you are submitting this information to the Real-time Protection Network.
- [b]What is browsing protection?
- Browsing protection helps you evaluate the safety of web sites you visit and prevents you from unintentionally accessing harmful web sites.
- Browsing protection is a browser plug-in that shows you safety ratings for web sites listed on search engine results and in web mail c...