Softpedia Editor's Review for Kaspersky Anti-Virus
An antivirus that provides all types of anti-malware protection
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 14th, 2013
Kaspersky Anti-virus is one of the most powerful antivirus solutions currently on the market, providing an excellent detection rate, combined with real-time protection and definition updates delivered to every computer on a regular basis.
The interface is pleasant and makes you believe you're using an application that's only focused on basic functions, although the powerhouse hidden under the hood is worth every single penny.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus is capable not only to discover and remove threats on your computer, but also to protect your email client, instant messengers and web traffic, regardless of the browser you use.
The program provides a total of three scanning modes, depending on your needs: 'Full Scan' to check the entire computer, 'Vulnerability Scan' to look for system and app vulnerabilities that may allow for malicious attacks and 'Critical Areas Scan' to verify the objects that are loaded with the operating system at startup.
Scanning takes a while though, especially if you have a lot of files, and sometimes slows down your computer when trying to clean or remove infected files. Virus definition updates, on the other hand, are delivered to your computer in no time and you won't be bothered at all by this task.
There are also a bunch of other useful tools to lend you a hand to stay on the safe side, including the so-called 'Kaspersky Rescue Disk', which can be turned into a bootable CD or USB flash drive to detect and remove infections with ease, a 'Privacy Cleaner' tool, a 'Browser Configuration' utility to make Internet Explorer a bit safer and 'Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting' to check and optimize OS-related security settings.
Kaspersky Anti-virus has the power to guard your whole computer, regardless if you refer to files, mail, Internet or instant messaging clients, comprising dedicated features for each of these categories.
Overall, there's little chance that Kaspersky Anti-Virus will not perform at its highest your system will be protected regardless if you're receiving and sending e-mails, chatting, downloading files or just browsing the web.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus description
Here are some key features of "Kaspersky Anti-Virus":
· Essential Protection
· Protects from viruses, Trojans and worms
· Blocks spyware and adware
· Scans files in real time (on access) and on demand
· Scans email messages (regardless of email client)
· Scans Internet traffic (regardless of browser)
· Protects instant messengers (ICQ, MSN)
· Provides proactive protection from unknown threats
· Scans Java and Visual Basic scripts
· Preventive Protection
· Scans operating system and installed applications for vulnerabilities
· Analyzes and closes Internet Explorer vulnerabilities
· Disables links to malware sites
· Detects viruses based on the packers used to compress code
· Global threat monitoring (Kaspersky Security Network)
· Advanced Protection & Recovery
· The program can be installed on infected computers
· Self-protection from being disabled or stopped
· Restores correct system settings after removing malicious software
· Tools for creating a rescue disk
· Data & Identity Theft Protection
· Disables links to fake (phishing) websites
· Blocks all types of keyloggers
· Automatic configuration during installation
· Wizards for common tasks
· Visual reports with charts and diagrams
· Alerts provide all the information necessary for informed user decisions
· Automatic or interactive mode
· Round-the-clock technical support
· Automatic database updates
· Processor 800 MHz or higher (Processor 1 GHz for Vista & 7)
· 512 MB available RAM (1 GB available RAM - 32 bit or 2 GB available RAM - 64 bit for Vista & 7)
· 50 MB free space on the hard drive
· CD-ROM (for installation of the program from CD)
· Computer mouse
· Internet connection (for product activation)
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 or higher
· Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Optimization of the user interface, settings, etc. according to the custom research.
· Touch Screen support.
· More banks and web stores support.
· The ability to select the browser when working with Safe Money.
· Connected Standby Technology Support.
· Reduced computer resources usage.