Softpedia Editor's Review for McAfee VirusScan
The world's premier virus detection and removal solution
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 7th, 2012
Initially aimed at home and home-office users, McAfee VirusScan was designed for virus detection and removal. The integrated technologies would fend-off network attacks, spyware and adware threats.
However, McAfee VirusScan is not available anymore as a standalone product. Instead, you can find it integrated in McAfee Internet Security Suite and McAfee Total Protection.
There is an Enterprise edition of McAfee VirusScan available for download and it also aims to keep malware off your desktop and server systems. This version is meant to be used on larger networks and has two complementary components: a server application and a client application.
Since it cannot be downloaded and used anymore, McAfee VirusScan receives the default three-star rating.
McAfee VirusScan description
Here are some key features of "McAfee VirusScan":
3 in 1 Protection:
· Stops Viruses. Automatically blocks, cleans, and removes viruses so you can surf the Web safely and download files.
· Blocks Spyware. Blocks spyware before it installs on your computer and removes existing spyware so you can surf the Web safely.
· Stops Hackers. Protects and conceals your computer from hackers so you can surf the Internet safely.
· Guards important files stored on your computer, and helps prevent your computer from crashing.
· Automatically monitors incoming and outgoing Internet activity, looking for suspicious applications and data.
· Improves your computer's performance by removing clutter and freeing disk space.
· Provides advance warning to help you avoid sites which send spam, install adware, or attempt online scams.
· Redesigned for You. Scan your computer, check for updates and configure your security settings using the new McAfee SecurityCenter. This essential, easy-to-use program gives you one-click access to your computers security information.
· Always On, Always Protecting. 24/7 virus and threat protection from McAfee AVERT Labs continuously monitors worldwide virus activities and provides immediate, anti-virus protection and removal solutions.
· Always Upgrading, Always Updating. Daily updates are installed automatically. When a new version of McAfee is available, you get it automatically at no charge during your subscription, ensuring that you always have up-to-date protection.
· Convenient, Ongoing Protection. McAfee offers a variety of renewal options to keep your McAfee protection current.
· Real People, Real Help. Support from McAfee's computer security experts, via Internet chat, e-mail and phone.
New and Improved Features:
· Integrated anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall technologies work together to combat today's sophisticated, multi-pronged attacks.
· Spyware protection detects, blocks, and removes spyware and adware.
· Complete inbound and outbound firewall protection automatically trusts known good applications and helps blocks spyware, Trojans, and key loggers.
· McAfee SystemGuards watches your computer for specific behaviors that may signal virus, spyware, or hacker activity.
· McAfee X-Ray for Windows detects and kills rootkits and other malicious applications that hide from Windows and other anti-virus programs.
· McAfee SiteAdvisor adds safety ratings to sites and search engine results based on comprehensive spam, adware, and online scam safety tests.
· Stealth mode can hide your presence on the Internet, making your computer invisible to hackers.
· McAfee SecurityCenter makes it simple to review your computer's security status, check for updates, and fix potential security issue
· 75 MB hard disk space (after installation; 125 MB hard disk space before installation) 800 X 600 or higher resolution
· Supported browser programs (Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later / Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or later)
· Supported e-mail programs: POP3 (Outlook Express, Outlook, Eudora, Netscape)
· Supported instant messaging programs (AOL Instant Messenger 2.1 or later / Yahoo Messenger 4.1 or later / Microsoft Windows Messenger 3.6 or later / MSN Messenger 6.0 or later)
· 30 days trial