Softpedia Editor's Review for Symantec Endpoint Protection
Powerful, reliable and accessible endpoint antivirus software solution that you can use on both virtual and physical computer systems
Written by Giorgiana Arghire on September 13th, 2012
Antivirus protection is always required, regardless of the type of system one works on, be it a physical or a virtual one. Symantec Endpoint Protection is a software solution developed to secure servers, desktop, laptops and virtual environments against a wide range of threats.
This application is based on a technology called the Symantec Insight which can monitor the prevalence and security rating of almost any known app on the Internet, so users can rest assured that the programs they are installing are completely safe.
Not only is Symantec Endpoint Protection especially enhanced for virtual infrastructures’ protection, but it can also randomize scans and updates, maintain a shared scan cache and scan offline images, as well as automatically identify or manage virtual clients.
A special function of this application is the integrated recovery tool that can be used to generate a self-booting CD or USB stick which includes a suite of Symantec malware removal utilities. Once created, the new CD or USB stick can boot the host infected PC into a virus free state that permits users to remove the detected malware with ease (and retrieve valuable documents in the process).
In addition to removing malware, Symantec Endpoint Protection can also optimize computers’ efficiency, along with enforcing processes and policies; furthermore, it performs its functions whenever the host PC goes idle, so as not to disturb users from work and take up computer resources that might be required for other tasks.
As already mentioned, this software solution does not run only within virtual environments, but it also supports the latest Windows editions, so users can get the same high-class protection without needing to upgrade to a newer OS. They can simply install one app and get multiple types of protection: antivirus, antispyware, firewall, intrusion prevention, device control and application control.
Symantec Endpoint Protection description
Here are some key features of "Symantec Endpoint Protection":
- State-of-the-art protection from the world leader in security.
- Built to secure your virtual infrastructure.
- Integrated antivirus, antispyware, firewall, and intrusion prevention as well as device control and application control.
- Powerful central management of security for physical and virtual endpoints
- Enables instant upgrade to self-enforced network access control without additional software deployment
- Seamless migration from previous versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Support for Microsoft Windows 8.1 and Windows 2012 R2.
- SEPM Manageability enhancements – Allowing immediate critical security event notification and additional telemetry.
- Fixes for customer reported defects.