Softpedia Editor's Review for a-squared Free
Scans the computer for malicious software: Trojan Horses, Dialer, Worms, Spyware
Written by Elena Opris on November 15th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for a-squared Free
A-Squared Free is a nifty little utility designed to check your computer for Trojans, worms, dialers and spyware and remove them, so you can enjoy a clean and speedy computer environment.
The installation process takes only a few seconds. Upon initiating the software, A-Squared asks you to perform an update. If you do this, then you will have to choose between two newer versions of the program - Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Emsisoft Emergency Kit (a portable version).
But, returning to A-Squared - the interface is very user-friendly, and also has some nice graphics. You can view the security status or logs, scan the PC, check the quarantine list, or configure A-Squared.
Scanning can be completed in several ways - quick (scans all active programs, spyware traces and tracking cookies), smart (same as Quick Scan + inactive programs and Windows files), deep (thoroughly scans everything, so it's the slowest), and custom.
We ran a Deep Scan on our computers (which took a very long time, of course), and A-Squared managed to find some issues. Right next to Diagnosis are the Details, where you can view how many traces there are, as well as the level of risk. CPU and memory resources are highly used during this time.
Unfortunately, A-Squared could not move all objects to quarantine, even if not all of them were Windows system files, so that was a bit disappointing.
In the Configuration menu you can activate context menu integration, quarantine re-scan, select language, and more.
In conclusion, you can try A-Squared Free and see how it fits, but the software is weaker than other antivirus systems.
a-squared Free description
Here are some key features of "a-squared Free":
Trojans, Backdoors, Keyloggers, Rootkits:
· Trojans and Backdoors provide strangers with access to your PC. Once a Backdoor is installed, an attacker can take full control of your computer. A Trojan is best described as a piece of software pretending to be something it is not - they often contain Backdoors, and usually arrive as email attachments. A Keylogger is a type of Malware that invisibly records all keyboard activity. a-squared Free specializes in recognizing and eliminating these types of Malware.
· Worm viruses are currently one of the most irritating phenomena on the Internet. Usually transmitted as dangerous email attachments, worms send copies of themselves to all reachable destinations and cause great damage. Newer network worms/bots use security holes (Exploits) to infect a PC, and can reproduce at an astonishing speed. Without your knowledge, your PC is essentially transformed into a spam-sending zombie! a-squared Free eliminates worms from your PC and prevents them from doing any further damage.
· Dialers are small programs that change the Internet access number of a modem-equipped computer to a much more expensive number. Costs can rise as high as several hundred dollars per dial attempt. a-squared Free removes Dialers before they are becoming active.
· Your personal data and information is worth a great deal of money to certain advertising companies. They have no qualms about smuggling software into your system, recording information and spying on everything you do. Adverts that change the start page of your browser also belong in the Spyware/Adware category. a-squared Free completely removes Spyware from your PC. Traces of Spyware in the Registry and Tracking Cookies are also recognized.
· 100 MB free RAM
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fine tuning and bug fixes.
· Added a second major scan engine: Ikarus Antivirus.
· More than 2.5 million signatures for best detection.
· Can be run from removable device, like USB Sticks, without the need to install the software.
· Plug in and scan!