Softpedia Editor's Review for Adobe Director
Explore new dimensions in rich multimedia authoring
Written by Mihaela Citea on December 22nd, 2012
The successor of Macromedia Director, Adobe Director has been a reference authoring tool for creating 3D content for many years. Although it seems that Adobe has put its further development on hold, the application remains a full-featured program for professionals.
Especially designed for multimedia authors and game developers, Adobe Director provides users a complete set of tools for creating 2D and 3D multimedia projects and developing web and CD content using Shockwave.
The native 3D rendering support (DirectX 9), together with the advanced PhysX engine is designed to help you create complex tridimensional elements with real collision and gravity simulations. Also, it allows you to import ready-made 3D objects from Google SketchUp.
As expected from an Adobe product, it provides support for Flash content (Flash 9) and allows you to create Flash ActionScript objects.
Providing support for a variety of video, audio, and image file formats, the software also comes with advanced audio and video capabilities. Real-time mixing, HD and full-screen playback support, audio effects, media synchronization and DSP filters, to name some.
In addition to this, it comes with support for bitmap filters to apply effects to pictures, enhanced text rendering engine, as well as support for ByteArray data, which you can use to store text in any character set, including Unicode.
Once a benchmark product in the multimedia authoring industry, Adobe Director is now surpassed by its well-known competitor, Flash, which has become a great alternative for developing 3D projects.
Adobe Director description
Here are some key features of "Adobe Director":
· Support for more than 40 video, audio, and image file formats
· Native 3D rendering with DirectX 9 support
· Advanced physics with the included AGEIA PhysX engine
· Support for Adobe Flash CS3 Professional software and video created with Flash
· Unicode support, including multimode publishing
· Enhanced text rendering engine
· Enhanced user interface
· Bitmap filters
· Xtra plug-ins
· Intel Pentium IV 600MHz or higher
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
· 512 MB of RAM
· 500 MB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
· DVD-ROM drive
· Microsoft Speech Application Programming Interface (SAPI) 4.0 or later
· Internet or phone connection required for product activation
· 30 days trial
· nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Experience the new demo game developed using Director 11.5
· A fully functional Audio Mixer to experience the power of Director 11.5 Audio
· Experience the new features of Director 11.5 in the aquo-thon Mountain Bike Extreme Race, or try it in demo mode to learn more.
· Download the latest version of Shockwave Player to experience high-performance multimedia created in Director.
· Independent game developer embraces Adobe Director and Shockwave Player to deliver immersive 3D MMO games online.
· Director Showcase
· See exciting apps developed in Director 11.5 by the prerelease community.
· Find out how learning designers and game developers are collaborating to provide leading organizations with powerful new learning experiences.