Softpedia Editor's Review for yWriter
Treats a novel as a project, breaking it down into scenes
Written by Gabriela Vatu on January 7th, 2013
Writing can be a time-consuming passion and the twists and turns of any plot line can be hard to follow especially when ideas keep coming to you. yWriter is an interesting app that helps you treat any novel as a project, by breaking it into chapters and scenes.
The program has a clean interface that’s extremely easy to work with. Basically, the app helps you organize thoughts and ideas, key scenes and “put meat” on the characters.
New projects can be created from scratch or with the help of a step-by-step wizard.
The program can create an undefined number of chapters. Descriptions can be added to these in order to have a better view of all the important points in the story. Each chapter contains multiple scenes that can be moved around whenever you want.
The scenes contain the story itself, but the plot can further be sketched by adding a viewpoint, additional details, choosing the characters that take part of the scene and the location, as well as including notes and pictures.
Each character can be shaped with the help of a brief form. Aside from the short and full name, you can assign it a minor or major role. A description and a short biography can also be provided, as well as a reference picture, goals and notes.
A storyboard view is also available; this can help you get a better picture of the state of the story. As you add more scenes, chapters and characters, the board grows and you see the bigger picture.
yWriter comes with a few progress trackers, enabling you to see exactly how many words are written in a scene and how many scenes are included in a chapter.
All in all, yWriter is a great tool that can be extremely useful. Inexperienced users should be able to quickly figure out how to work with this app.
Here are some key features of "yWriter":
· Organise your novel using a 'project'.
· Add files to the project, each containing a chapter.
· Add a summary to each file, showing the scenes in each chapter.
· Print out summary cards, showing the structure of your novel.
· Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total.
· Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. (Tracks your progress)
· Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals.
· Allows multiple scenes within chapters
· Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene.
· Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work.
· Re-order scenes within chapters.
· Move scenes from one chapter to another.
· Automatic chapter renumbering.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New stable release incorporating beta fixes since