Softpedia Editor's Review for InstantStorm
Flash screensaver creator with many advanced features
Written by Elena Opris on June 5th, 2013
InstantStorm is a small program designed to help you create screensavers in Flash in a few simple steps. It targets all types of users, even beginners.
The interface of the application is made from a standard window with an intuitive layout, where you can follow a simple wizard to carry out a task quickly.
You can get started by specifying a title for the screensaver, select an Adobe Flash file (SWF format) or FutureSplash file (SPL format) using the file browser or "drag and drop" method, and set the scaling mode. It is possible to preview the clip in a very small frame.
Dialog settings can be configured when ti comes to the image or Flash file (e.g. size), screensaver properties (e.g. display a scale mode selector) and monitor preferences (e.g. allow users to change the screensaver resolution).
Furthermore, you can modify screensaver behavior settings concerning exit events (on keyboard or mouse), resolution (e.g. keep the current one), monitors (e.g. display the screensaver on all monitors), Flash Player (e.g. minimum required version) and transparency color.
Other customizable preferences concern the installer (e.g. create a Start menu or Desktop shortcut), additional files required by the main Flash file, and publishing mode (create a screensaver installer or a standalone SCR file).
The project can be saved to file for further modifications. You can load a built-in or external language pack, save the current texts as a language pack, choose the character encoding method, as well as hide the welcome screen on startup.
InstantStorm is low-demanding regarding the system resources, has a good response time and creates screensavers swiftly, without hanging, crashing or popping up error dialogs. Although it has not been updated for a pretty long time, InstantStorm delivers a simple solution with plenty of configuration settings for creating Flash screensavers.
Here are some key features of "InstantStorm":
· Extremely easy to use, the Wizard mode turns Flash SWF files into screensavers in seconds
· Output screensaver files work with all Windows versions
· Customizable screensaver installer and settings dialog
· Support for live previewing and debugging
· Separate Flash files for widescreen, 4:3, and 5:4 screen resolutions
· Every single line of text in the screensaver installer, uninstaller, and settings dialog can be translated or edited
· Customizable icon, readme file, and license agreement text in installer
· Advanced developers' features
· Flash 10 (e.g. files using Flash CS4 features) support
· Support for additional external files (SWF, AS, TXT, XML, ...)
· Creates both screensaver installers and standalone SCR files
· CPU 300 MHz
· 64 MB of RAM
· 800x600 resolution with 16-bit color depth
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New and more stable screensaver engine
· Windows 7 and Flash 10 support
· Improved previewing and debugging capabilities
· Advanced developers' features
· Language packs and enhanced localization features
· Revamped Settings dialog designer
· Separate SWF files for widescreen and 4:3 displays