Softpedia Editor's Review for EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise
A handy program for all system administrators
Written by Elena Opris on December 4th, 2012
EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise is a program that can automatically generate Windows installers, based on the given parameters. Thus, MSI files can be installed on remote computers, without needing the user's attendance.
The interface of the application is clean and simple to navigate through. The easiest way to start a new project is by using the wizard. So, you can create a MSI package which is based on real-time monitoring results or the installation settings available in the Project tree view.
General MSI package attributes can be set when it comes to the file name, project name, manufacturer, language, version, user availability (for current or all users) and system reboot status.
In addition, you can edit the product GUID and enable support for installation updates (optionally set the tool to ignore the language when upgrading the package and to block from downgrade).
Plus, you can specify a command, URL or path to a program to be run before or after install or uninstall, customize supported operating systems and the MSI install mode (e.g. force all files to be installed, regardless of version), as well as edit summary and support information.
Once a project is active, you can add new files, folders and shortcuts, insert registry keys and user environment variables (e.g. create if it doesn't exist), as well as add services and check out a log file. EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise also lets you use a search function, decompile MSI packages, repair missing file links, as well as customize uninstall filters which revolve around the file system and registry.
The application requires a moderate amount of CPU and system memory, has a good response time and includes a help file with online tutorials for all user levels. We have not come across any difficulties throughout our testing; EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise did not freeze, crash or display error dialogs.
EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise description
Here are some key features of "EMCO MSI Package Builder Enterprise":
· Real-time monitoring of existing installations and applications to create your own MSI packages from monitoring results
· Visual creation of MSI packages does not require programming
· System variable support, which enable you to install the created MSI on computers with different system configurations
· Decompiling and editing of existing MSI files
· Option to control file overwriting
· File attributes support
· Localized user interface and help files
· 1 GHz Intel Pentium processor or equivalent (2 GHz recommended)
· 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
· 250MB of free disk space (500 MB recommended)
· .NET Framework 2.0 (3.5 SP 1 recommended)
· 30 launches trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
New and improved features:
· Improved projects loading performance
· The Live Monitoring process cannot be started on PCs running Microsoft Windows Vista or later Windows versions
· The system folders included in the file system monitoring and uninstall filters may be rolled and unrolled incorrectly
· The appending and prepending of a registry value may not be correctly detected during an MSI package decompilation
· Potential errors when closing the application