Softpedia Editor's Review for UltraISO PE
An easy to use utility to create, edit and convert CD image files
Written by Alexandru Pintilie on June 18th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for UltraISO PE
The disk image term refers to many data storage mediums such as optical disk, hard drive, USB flash drive, tape drive or even floppy disk. Their creation process comprises a 100% sector-by-sector copy of the source resulting in a complete replication of both content and structure. The file formats of disk images are as popular as standard image formats within specific communities.
As every particular file format has its own category of dedicated software, so disk images have their tools that can be used to efficiently manage them. Top picks include PowerISO, CloneCD, IsoBuster, Blindwrite, MagicISO Maker, WinImage or WinISO. Beside these particular software, many users prefer UltraISO for a number of reasons. Some of them because of its longevity and the fact that they got used to it, others tend to perpetually search for feature-rich, easy-to-use and powerful software.
One of the main features of UltraISO is the vast array of disk image file formats it supports. This consists of mainstream formats such as ISO, BIN, CUE, MDS, MDF, NRG, CCD, IMG, UIF or VCD as well as less popular formats like ASHDISC, BWT, BWI, DAA, DMG, HFS, IMA or C2D. In addition, the application supports many other types of disk images with a grand total of over forty formats. Moreover, the software can easily convert between any of the aforementioned file types.
UltraISO provides a classic and neat interface that holds all the tools for creation, editing, extraction of disk image content as well as management of its structure. The `New` sub-menu of the `File` menu offers an impressive palette of options like `Data / Bootable CD / DVD Image`, `UDF / XBOX DVD Image`, `PS2 CD / DVD Image`, `Hybrid / Unix / Linux / Audio / Mixed Mode CD Image` or Floppy / Disk Image.
Another important menu of the application's main window is the `Tools` menu which holds a witty collection of tools to satisfy your conversion, mounting, burning, checking, verifying, compressing or testing needs. Bootable disk images have their own menu for all of your essential utilities such as `Make / Write Floppy / Disk Image` or `Make Multi-Boot CD/DVD`.
The comprehensive set of features alongside an enormous number of supported disk image file formats recommend UltraISO as a top player within the software industry. It is very well-built and its capabilities rise high above the average, delivering the best results for any disk image-related task at hand. Simply put, UltraISO does not take more than a few minutes to prove its reliability when it comes to creating and extracting disk image files as well as editing any aspect of their structure.
UltraISO PE description
Here are some key features of "UltraISO PE":
· Can directly edit the ISO image file.
· Can directly extract files and folders from ISO image file
· Can add / delete /create new directory /rename ISO file image content.
· Can make ISO file from hard disk document.
· Can create CD/DVD image from CD/DVD-ROM, maintain bootable information.
· Can process the compact disc boot information, you can directly add/remove/extract boot image of the ISO image.
· Supports nearly all known CD/DVD image file formats (.ISO, .BIN, .IMG, .CIF, .NRG, .MDS, .CCD, .BWI, .ISZ, .DMG, .DAA, .UIF, .HFS and so on) , and can convert them to the industry standard and widely supported ISO image format.
· May directly set the file/folder to hidden attribute
· Supports ISO 9660 Level1/2/3 and Joliet extension
· Automatically optimizes the ISO image file structure, saves the disc space.
· Supports the shell document type integration, Open Image files through double clicking them or the Right Click menu of the mouse with the open dialog.
· The double window user interface is extremely convenient to use.
· There are rich add-on tools, you can create ALL in 1 bootable compact discs, CD/DVD image file management, even the virtual CD/DVD drive , those functions are really powerful.
· Intel Pentium 166MHz or above.
· 64MB memory.
· At least 10MB free hard disk space .
· CD-ROM, CD-R/RW, DVD-ROM, the DVD-R/RW driver (copy compact disc image needs).
· Cannot save an ISO image of greater than 300MB
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Can edit ISO images of Windows 7/8 x64 with EFI boot record
· Can directly create bootable USB disk of Mac OS X Mountain Lion from dmg image
· New bootpart device driver, supports accessing boot partition(deep hidden) within Windows (PE) environment
· Supports high-end hidden boot partition (bootmgr)
· Supports duplicating bootable USB flash drives (RAW mode)
· Sector alignment on formatting USB Flash Drive as FAT volume
· Can detect and use DVBFab virtual drive
· Fixed a bug with handling ISO images of Fedora 17 and CentOS 6.2
· Fixed a bug with image splitting on VMWare Fusion(Mac) or Wine(Linux)
· Some minor improvements and bug fixes