Softpedia Editor's Review for Finale SongWriter
Makes it easy for you to create and print sheet music on your PC
Written by Mihaela Citea on February 10th, 2012
If your passion is music, you can let your creativity guide you and create customized sheet music with Finale SongWriter. This is an easy to use application that provides you with multiple tools for authoring songs and creating staves.
When opening the application, you have to choose one or more instruments that you want to include in your song, as well as the key and time signature. After doing so, the program automatically assigns a stave for each selected musical instrument.
Working with Finale SongWriter is easy, as the user-friendly interface offers you the possibility to quickly access to all the features of the program.
The staves can be spread through multiple pages, which you can edit one at a time. You can start writing your song anytime, as all you have to do is place the desired musical notes and effects on the staves.
Everytime you write down a new note, it is automatically played by a MIDI device. Moreover, you can play the whole song at any moment, thus having the possibility to correct on-the-spot the sounds that you don't like.
You can customize parts of your staves by using the tools you have at your disposal: you can change the key and time signature, the clef, the tempo, as well as add measures and tuplet notes, repeat signs, lyrics or other annotations.
One feature that makes this software notable is the 'Human Playback' option, which allows you to listen to your song as if performed by live musicians. You have the possibility to choose from multiple singing genres, such as baroque, classical, pop, waltz and so on.
The application allows you to place any musical symbol on your stave, in order to create a beautiful song. After finishing it, you can save your work as MID or MUS file, as well as in MP3 or WAV formats. Thus, you can later listen to your song on the computer or other device.
Finale SongWriter is designed to help songwriters, choir directors and musicians create and print professional-looking sheet music that they can share with anyone.
Finale SongWriter description
Here are some key features of "Finale SongWriter":
· Note Entry with your mouse, computer keyboard or any MIDI device
· Input and play back via a MIDI device and interface
· Import/export MIDI files
· QuickStart Videos show you how to use SongWriter
· Launch Window and Setup Wizard guide you through any project
· Instruments are automatically transposed
· Transposed instruments appear as written or in concert pitch
· Slash notation
· Automatic drum grooves
· Automatic 2- and 3-voice harmonization
· Articulations (including staccatos and accents)
· Smart Shapes (including crescendos and slurs)
· Chord symbols and guitar fretboard diagrams
· Guitar and/pro bass tablature
· Control the number of measures on each system
· Change clef or key/time signatures
· Up to eight staves of music
· Up to six verses of lyrics
· Automatic music spacing
· Human Playback adds the nuance of live musicians
· Automatic swing playback
· Over 128 professional sounds included
· Saves audio files, including MP3, to burn audio CDs
· Beautiful, engraver-quality printer pages
· 240 MB hard drive space required for software and user manual
· 256 MB RAM recommended
· CD-ROM drive
· Monitor with 800X600 resolution
· MIDI interface (optional)
· MIDI input and/or playback device (optional)
· Printer (optional)
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen