Softpedia Editor's Review for Game Jackal Pro
The ultimate must have killer application for the PC gamer!
Written by Olivian Puha on November 1st, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Game Jackal Pro
If there's something any PC gamer will always want to have it is a means of starting any of the preferred games instantly. And preferably without having to go through the boring procedure of inserting the disc, waiting for it to load and then selecting 'Run game'.
Well, if you feel the above is true for you, there's some good news heading your way because you've reached the right page! Game Jackal Pro will do exactly that for you, namely help you dramatically cut down loading times for your favorite titles.
Before installing it you should save the files you currently have opened because a reboot will be necessary to complete the installation. You can postpone the restart, but in order to have the program run smoothly and enjoy all the features, you'll have to do it sooner rather than later. Once you do that, you'll be able to run it and enjoy its nice and friendly interface and all its functions.
The first thing you can do after it starts up is create a new profile, so grab the installation discs of your preferred game and get to work! Game Jackal will prove to be very helpful from the get go, thanks to its database that includes a few hundred built-in profiles for different versions of many hugely popular titles. You should also note that all the profiles you make can be modified, moved or exported to a different location.
As soon as you finished setting up all the needed profiles, you'll be able to launch the games without having to insert each time the CD or DVD, thus greatly increasing its lifespan. The application also works well for those titles that require data streaming from the original disc. It will simply create a virtual image that will be used to emulate the presence of the hard copy.
When security becomes a major concern, Game Jackal pulls an ace out of its sleeve: 'Guardian Control'. This neat feature will give you the possibility you to enforce restrictions on profiles, thus blocking unauthorized access to any of the games in your collection. You can also protect the application itself by creating a master password from the 'General Settings' menu.
Game Jackal Pro can definitely have a positive impact on your gaming experience, but it's up to you to decide whether you love it or hate it. All we can do is give it a hearty recommendation, so take it for a spin and see just how useful it can actually be for you!
Game Jackal Pro description
Here are some key features of "Game Jackal Pro":
· Create profiles right from the desktop with the new "One-click" profile creation option. Simply right-click any game icon on you desktop (or anywhere else for that matter) and select "Convert to Game Jackal Profile", a much simplified creation wizard guides you through a 2 step process.
· Unused profiles can now be moved to an archive section allowing you to keep only your current favorites in the "My Game Profile" section.
· A new "plug-in" interface is now available, this allows third-party developers to create plug-ins for Game Jackal Pro.
· Right-click popup menu for profiles, this provides a faster and easier way to manage profiles.
· Improved reliability, support and performance for many games and hardware configurations.
· Support for multi processor hardware, including the ability to specific processor(s) on for each profile.
· Image mode, for games that need to stream data from the CD or DVD during game play.
· An easy to use interface, providing the user with a single tool for "cd free" gaming.
· The creation of a Game Jackal Profile is performed while you are playing your favorite game!
· Using the auto update feature, your version of Game Jackal Pro will always be the latest version available.
· Guardian Control, this feature allows for the password protection of game profiles in addition to specifying when and how long a game can be played.
· No longer do you need to find and insert the game's CD-ROM.
· Preserve the original game's CD-ROM: one of the problems with having a favorite game is that the CD-ROM gets damaged over time.
· Game load times are dramatically shortened
· IBM-compatible PC with a minimum 500 MHz Pentium-class microprocessor and 64 MB RAM
· 2 MB hard-disk space
· 21 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Total rewrite of the core application