Softpedia Editor's Review for PC Disk Clone X Free Edition
A handy cloning application
Written by Bogdan Popa on December 4th, 2012
Creating disk clones is usually a painful task, especially when thinking that you have to move tons of data onto another hard disk.
That's why PC Disk Clone X Free Edition may help you a lot in this regard, trying to offer a simple method to clone data from one drive to another.
The free edition only works in 'Disk to Disk' mode, so you only have the option to clone your files on a different hard disk.
Although it may seem a little bit too difficult to use, the interface helps the application target both beginners and professional users, as users have no more to do than simply follow a wizard to get the job done.
You thus have to select the source and the destination disks and you should be ready to rumble. There are only two options in the main window, 'Used Only' and 'Shadow Copy', so configuration is just minimal.
PC Disk Clone X Free Edition worked flawlessly during our test, but there's still one major drawback. The application is terribly slow and we've received reports from users claiming that it sometimes takes up to one day to clone a whole disk.
However, this also depends on the size of your hard disks, but as a general idea, PC Disk Clone X Free Edition is far from being a fast software solution, it just takes too much time to complete the task.
It does run okay on most computers, but older machines might experience several slowdowns when running it, but it still manages to meet the expectations.
So all in all, PC Disk Clone X Free Edition deserves a chance if you have enough time, but before jumping into any conclusion, it's better to give it a try and see what it's up to.
PC Disk Clone X Free Edition description
Here are some key features of "PC Disk Clone X Free Edition":
Clone with High Speed:
· When you clone a hard disk to another within the computer box, the transfer speed can accelerate to 7GB per minute. You wait much less time than other competitive products.
Clone to Removable Hard Disk:
· PC Disk Clone can use a USB or Firewire(IEEE1394) cable to clone to an external drive.
Clone any System on any File System type:
· PC Disk Clone is independent of file system formats and operating systems.
· Clone unknown, hidden or proprietary Partition Formats
· Besides the abilities to clone NTFS, FAT, EXT2, EXT3, HFS, XFS, JFS and ZFS Disk Formats, cloning can also be very successful in case of unknow, hidden, or proprietary file systems.
Clone Dual Boot Systems:
· PC Disk Clone can copy hard disk with dual bootable systems. For instance, Windows and Linux within one hard disk can start up successfully in the backup disk.
Necessary Tool for Data Rescue:
· PC Disk Clone can also be used for data rescue. Because hard disk with defective areas always need to be copied to another disk before any recovery procedure. Otherwise, the recovery may cause further defects resulting from the inherent exposure of the recovery operation. PC Disk Clone reduces the exposure to its minimum due to its sector copy mechanism. (Note: Only Sector copy can be used to recover data from hard drive.)
Best Choice to migrate Systems:
· PC Disk Clone is ideal to migrate Windows Systems to new computer with the help of Microsoft Sysprep tool. After a few preparation using sysprep, Migrating Hard Disk Data, as well as eliminating the annoyance of reinstalling Windows and of loosing personal information, will become easy and efficient.
· Best Choice to Upgrade/Replace Hard Drive
· Upgrading an old disk with new one is almost the same as migrating system to new computer except the new disk drive will still be used in the same computer.
Best Choice For Laptop Installation Backups:
· PC Disk Clone provides the possibility to create a local backup of an entire system installation for Laptops. If required, a simple restore from the backup partition brings the system installation back into its original state. Therefore, Laptops can create a partition on the unused disk space as a backup of system. After having installed the system, make a copy of the system drive to the backup drive. Then you can restore the original system partition at any time by copying in the opposite direction.