Softpedia Editor's Review for WinCDEmu
An ISO images emulator for your personal computer.
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 2nd, 2012
WinCDEmu is a freeware Windows application that allows users to mount ISO images just by double clicking on the files in Windows Explorer.
As compared to many similar programs, WinCDEmu does the whole job a lot simpler, turning the whole mounting and unmounting process just a matter of clicks.
The interface of the application is just minimal and the ace up its sleeve is definitely the way it handles ISO file.
The main window for example lets you adjust the so-called “Driver letter policy” which is nothing more than the way the program assigns new driver letter every time you open an ISO image. By default, WinCDEmu always asks before mounting images, letting you pick a new drive letter on the fly.
Additionally, you can set up the app to require administrator privileges to mount an image, which is useful especially on Windows Vista and 7.
As said, it's enough to double click an ISO file to mount a new image, and another double click should complete the unmounting process in no time. Additionally, you can right click the specific drive icon and hit the “Eject” button to perform this task.
Of course, WinCDEmu remains friendly with computer resources all the time and works okay on all Windows versions. Plus, it supports multiple image formats beside ISO, including NRG, MDS/MDF, IMG, CUE and CCD.
All in all, WinCDEmu may come in handy to many users out there, especially because it makes it so easy to mount an ISO image without having to open the main interface of the application every time.
Here are some key features of "WinCDEmu":
· WinCDEmu makes mounting CD/DVD images simple: double-click on an image file in Windows Explorer and a new drive letter with the mounted image will appear. You can mount as many images as you want at the same time, and you don't need to reserve drive letters when nothing is mounted. WinCDEmu supports ISO, CUE, NRG, MDS/MDF, CCD, IMG formats and runs on all Windows versions from WinXP to Win7.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added support for making ISO images of CDs/DVDs
· Added an option for disabling autorun
· Added an option for keeping mounted images after restart
· Added support for translating context menu items
· Fixed NRG file parser