Softpedia Editor's Review for Bitser
Intuitive archive and backup software
Written by Ana Marculescu on May 20th, 2013
There are many software solutions on the market designed for managing archives in a professional way. Bitser is one of those apps and can help you compress or decompress files on the go.
The program sports an intuitive interface that reminds of Windows Explorer, so getting used to it shouldn't be quite a serious problem.
Adding files to the list is particularly simple thanks to the familiar interface of the app, while the drag and drop support makes file selection a breeze.
Bitser allows users to select the format of the archived files (ZIP, 7Z, EXE) and the compression mode (fastest, fast, normal, maximum and ultra). At the end of the compression process a log is displayed comprising all the necessary information, such as history of the archived files, speed, size and parameters used. You can print or save the reports.
Key features bundled in this app include the possibility to add new files to the archive and to overwrite or update the existing ones. It is possible to decompress the files and perform tests to check for possible errors in the existing archive.
Furthermore, the program includes conversion and encryption features. You can convert the existing archive to a different format, select custom parameters and split the archive. Moreover, protecting your documents from unauthorized viewing is also possible by setting up passwords.
You can select what file associations should be used by the program and to specify which folder should be used for temporary storage when there isn’t enough disk space in the output destination.
Overall, Bitser is a handy application that can help you compress or decompress files quickly and efficiently. It features many useful features and it appeals to beginners and experts alike.
Here are some key features of "Bitser":
· Extracts archives: ZIP, 7Z, RAR, ISO, MSI, GZIP, BZIP2, TAR, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, LZH, LZMA, NSIS, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR, Z
· Creates archives: ZIP, 7-ZIP, EXE (supports self extracting and split archives)
· Create compressed backups of your data using checkboxes in windows explorer to select multiple files and folders.
· AES-256 bit encryption for secure backup of confidential data.
· Drag and drop support for adding and updating archives from built in file explorer.
· Context Menu (right click shortcut menu) access to archives from windows explorer
· Create or extract multiple zip files simultaneously from windows explorer.
· Convert archives between formats (full or partial conversion from any format to zip,7-zip or exe).
· Reports showing history of archived files, parameters used and comparisons of compression ratios, speeds, and sizes.
· Explorer style views of archives with source and destination folders accessible from a single window.
· MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 checksum calculator for windows file verification.
· Password Manager to store multiple passwords in a single AES encrypted file.
· Interface can be translated into any language.
· Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 Client Profile
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Bug Fix - Bitser was failing to prevent the computer from sleeping during backup
· Bug Fix - Minor fixes, changes and code optimisations