Softpedia Editor's Review for PeaZip
Archive and compress all your files
Written by Elena Opris on January 22nd, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for PeaZip
PeaZip is a compression tool that supports several archive formats, including ZIP, 7Z, ARC, self-extracting 7Z, ARC and TAR.
The user interface of the application is simple to navigate through, thanks to its Explorer-based layout. All you have to do is select the files or folders you want to archive, and hit the Add button (the drag and drop method is also supported).
In the next step, you are required to set the output destination and configure format options. Plus, you can enable PeaZip to open the output path when the task is done, add each object to a separate archive, append timestamp to the archive name, convert existing archives and use the TAR method before compression.
In addition, you can include and exclude filters, add passwords and create a key file, set compression level, method, dictionary, word, passes, solid block, as well as select function (new archive, add, update), threads, the algorithm and others, test the archive etc.
But you can also run a system benchmark or system tools, such as Disk Cleanup, Disk Defrag, Disk Management, Control Panel and Task Manager.
In the Settings menu, you can select mode for backend binaries user interface and PeaLauncher, reset applications, bookmarks and archive history, enable the encoding job definition as UTF-8 text and more.
During our tests, we encountered some issues related to the context menu. Indeed, you can easily access the archiving tool under the "PeaZip" menu, but some of its functions are also scattered in the "Sent to" menu. Also, remaining time is not accurately displayed during the compression process (sometimes, question marks replace numbers).
Overall, PeaZip uses a low amount of system memory, comes with a well-drawn help file and is simple to work with. We strongly recommend it to all users.
Here are some key features of "PeaZip":
· Easy to use GUI, supports Drag&Drop and integrates in system's context menu
· All in one tool to work with all most popular archive formats: extract, compress, convert, encrypt, secure deletion, save backup scripts.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Pea updated to 0.43 release
· Enlarged small icon size
· 16 px icons are now shown in 20px areas (as in Vista and newer systems file explorer) to improve usability on touch devices and high resolution screens
· Improved Recent menu
· menu displays also folders relevant for recent activities
· recent folders quick selection menu in archiving and extraction interfaces does not contain duplicate recent pats
· Various minor fixes
EXTRACTION and ARCHIVING:
· Fixed PEA format single volume size issue on Win64
· Fixed "keyfile not found" issue for PEA format extraction
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Offers to change the homepage for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to change the default search engine for web browsers installed in the system
· Offers to download or install software or components (such as browser toolbars) that the program does not require to fully function