Softpedia Editor's Review for PowerArchiver
A powerful compression and decompression tool with a file browsing feature
Written by Elena Opris on November 23rd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for PowerArchiver
PowerArchiver is a complete archive utility for Windows that also sports a file browsing feature.
Once you have installed the program, you can set interface options (for novice or power users) and file format associations, in the first configuration wizard.
The Explorer-based layout contains six tabs - Home, FTP, Backup, Burner, Tools and Options.
With PowerArchiver, you can create, convert and multi-extract archives, batch archive files, password-protected files, create backups, and burn files.
You can also schedule data compression operations at regular time intervals in a specific location. PowerArchiver verifies the location for the new data and automatically adds it to the backup archive.
The FTP client is powerful enough to save information for multiple connection profiles, as well as support SFTP and FTPS, while the Burner allows you to burn files or images to disc, copy discs to discs or images, erase rewritable discs, and create a new ISO. In order to access the Virtual Drive, you have to purchase the full product.
The Tools section allows you to encrypt files, convert archives (ZIP, 7-ZIP, CAB, BH, TAR), create a SFX archive, repair ZIP files, encode files, merge or write multi-volume ZIPs, and more. Additionally, you can fully customize PowerArchiver's interface, by changing the toolbar style, view mode, skin, and language.
We converted a 1,16GB file to a ZIPX archive. The task took 5 minutes and 11 seconds, and the archive was shrunk to 35.6%, weighing only 423MB. By the way, PowerArchiver comes with Volume Shadow Copy support, so you can also compress files while you are using them.
In conclusion, PowerArchiver proves to be an amazing compression and decompression tool that uses a moderate amount of CPU and memory resources. All it lacks are some extra supported formats to the collection.
Here are some key features of "PowerArchiver":
· Complete built-in support (including creating archives and adding files) for ZIP, CAB, LHA (LZH), TAR, TAR.GZ, TAR.BZ2 and BH (BlakHole) files, and built-in support for reading and extracting many other file formats: RAR, ARJ, ARC, ACE, ZOO, GZ and BZIP2
· Built-in support for XXE and UUE encoded files
· Many powerful archive operations (including: renaming files in archive, spanning archives, testing archives, viewing and writing comments, installing archives, and checking archives for viruses)
· Internal viewer that supports TXT, RTF, BMP, ICO, WMF, EMF, GIF and JPG (JPEG) files
· Skinnable toolbar
· Drag and Drop from/to Windows Explorer and the Desktop
· Two ways of viewing archives (Classic - all files in the same listing; Explorer - browsing through an archive like folders in Windows Explorer)
· Creating powerful ZIP, RAR, ARJ, LHA and BH self-extracting archives
· Complete integration with Windows (extracting archives and creating archives directly from Windows Explorer using powerful "Explorer Shell Extensions")
· Viewing files in all view styles, including "as a Web page"
· Converting between file formats (for example: changing a ZIP archive to CAB archive, or LHA archive to ZIP archive)
· Tool for repairing corrupted ZIP archives
· Tool for extracting multiple archives at once
· Tool for creating backup scripts and running automated backups
· Auto Update to automatically download and install new versions of PowerArchiver
· Batch Zip function to create multiple different archives at once
· Favorite Folders to quickly locate archives
· Printing file list to printer, or exporting file list to HTML or TXT files
· Powerful help in HTML and a tutorial with pictures for beginners
· Many, many other useful and powerful features
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Windows 8 support – Various smaller changes for official Windows 8 Certification.
· Backup: date options – Enabled date options for file naming as default so users wont by accident overwrite their old backups.
· Backup: tar.gz support – Improved TAR.GZ support in backup.
· Virtual Drive: IMG support – Added support for IMG files in Virtual Drive.
· Drag & Drop: Profiles – Added support for Compression Profiles in Drag and Drop window.
· Preview Window Improvements – Disabled preview window for file selection when renaming files.
· ZIP format – Added support for extracting folders with invalid name in Windows File System (/.example/).