Softpedia Editor's Review for QuickPar
Verify and repair or create PAR2 files
Written by Olivian Puha on January 28th, 2013
As many users of Usenet may know, downloading content through that system may encounter errors so when the files arrive, they might be damaged and impossible to open. Fortunately, there is a solution to this problem.
QuickPar is a lightweight application that is designed to help those who want to recover data and still use those damaged downloads. The program uses a correction algorithm to repair all that can be fixed by using PAR2 files which are especially created for this data recovery purpose.
In case you have some files that are named incorrectly or simply broken, but with all the blocks available, QuickPar can fix them thanks to the 'AutoRepair' function. The app is also capable of generating parity files and split the original sources to sizes that are multiple to those of each data block.
The highly customizable options of this utility will enable you to set it to monitor and repair automatically the downloaded files. You can also configure the deletion options and have damaged as well as the PAR2 files removed after recovery.
When you select the files to protect, QuickPar allows you to manually configure the block allocation parameters and set the source block count using a slider. Alternately, you can opt for the automated way by activating the function that restricts block size to multiples of Usenet article size.
The data verification can be performed with only one click and this tool will analyze and display the number of source files, the source block count, number of complete, damaged, missing and misnamed files.
To sum it all up, QuickPar is a must have software for all those using the Usenet network. Damaged files can be repaired and the application can also protect and verify files with great ease.
Here are some key features of "QuickPar":
· When "AutoRepair" is ticked, Files that are missnamed or damaged (with all blocks available) will be repaired immediatly.
· The Options dialogue now includes checkboxes labelled "Repair Automatically" and "Monitor Automatically". These control the way the AutoRepair and Monitor Checkboxes in the verification window are set when you first open a PAR2 file.
· When creating PAR2 files, QuickPar can now create split versions of the source files. Source files will be split into sizes that are exact multiples of the block size.
· When creating PAR2 files or using them to repair, QuickPar will now ask for confirmation if you click the Stop button.
· When verifying, QuickPar should now automatically recognise incomplete versions of files created by yDec that end with "(nnn).tmp".
· When verifying files, it is now possible to right click on files in the file list to access the shell context menu appropriate for that file. You can also double click a file to carry out the default action (which would normally be to open the file).
· After verifying files successfully (or repairing), it is now possible to create extra PAR2 files by clicking the Extra button. QuickPar will display the dialogue for creating PAR2 files but all settings except those to specify how many new recovery blocks you want will be disabled.
· After a succesfull Repair, QuickPar will now delete damaged and incomplete data files as well as the PAR2 files that are no longer required. QuickPar will always retain the small "index" PAR2 file. This feature may be configured via the Options dialogue.