Softpedia Editor's Review for Smith Micro StuffIt (formerly StuffIt Deluxe 2010)
Create and access attachments and downloads, protect data, and transfer files
Written by Mihaela Citea on August 7th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Smith Micro StuffIt (formerly StuffIt Deluxe 2010)
When it comes to archive managers, there are multiple programs out there that can help you. One of them is Smith Micro’s StuffIt, an application that incorporates not only file archiving functionality, but comes with additional features.
Just like any software from its category, Smith Micro StuffIt allows you to create different types of archives and view their content. It supports multiple archive types, from the most common ones (ZIP, RAR, 7z) to Mime, CAB or MAC self-extracting archives. Still, that is not all that this program does.
The so called 'Droplets' enable you to create customized archive targets. This means that you can create archives and automatically send them by email, transfer them or burn them to a CD / DVD.
One interesting feature is 'SmartSend', a service that can upload an archive to a server and place a download link into your email, which is useful if you want to send large files.
Moreover, the archives can be customized, as you can change the compression method and level, as well as encrypt them to prevent unwanted access. In addition to this, the application has its own highly customizable compression format that you can use. With this application, you can handle the name conflicts and set a security program to check extracted files for viruses.
The archive creation process offers you the possibility to generate profiles, so you don't have to go through all the customization steps later on. Also, archiving tasks can be scheduled.
Archive extraction, verification and recovery, as well as archive search and filtering are other tools that come in handy, along with the archive name service that keeps track of your archives location. Another advantage is that it integrates in the Windows context menu, allowing you to easily access its features.
Ease of use can also be added to the list of advantages that Smith Micro StuffIt brings you, as you can use the step-by-step wizards for compression, file transfer, email and backup.
Smith Micro StuffIt is an easy to use program that offers powerful features for archive management, conversion and repairing, while also enabling you to send files by email with just a few clicks.
Smith Micro StuffIt (formerly StuffIt Deluxe 2010) description
Here are some key features of "Smith Micro StuffIt (formerly StuffIt Deluxe 2010)":
· Better Compression than other Zip Utilities
· Super-strong Encryption and Password Protection
· Self-healing Archives Protect Against Data Loss
· Browse Archive Contents like any folder
· StuffIt Scheduler makes backups a snap
· Plug-in Support for Your Favorite Applications
· Secure file management & delivery
· StuffIt SmartSend
· Optimized Compressors for JPEG & Audio
· Use StuffIt SEA Builder to create mini-installers
· 40 MB of free disk space
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· StuffIt SmartSend – Resolve email attachment issues! No more email bounces caused by attachments that are larger than your or your recipient’s size limits. StuffIt’s Compress and Mail features can now automatically route large files through a File Host site and send your recipient a download to retrieve the file.
· StuffIt Connect – A one year subscription is included with your StuffIt Deluxe purchase. StuffIt Connect is the best way to exchange large files! Transfer, store and share up to 2 GB of files with StuffIt Connect file transfer service. Once your files have been uploaded, you can safely and securely share with your friends by sending out email invitations that provide access to the content you’ve posted on a file-by-file basis. All the convenience of a cloud based Internet service. Securely upload, access and share up to 2GB of your files from anywhere, even over your iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android or other Smart Phone.
· This version of StuffIt also adds p...