Softpedia Editor's Review for WinAce
A useful tool for compressing and decompressing files
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 24th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for WinAce
Among the many compression formats out there some go way back and are scarcely used these days. This is the case of the old '.ace' archives that are so hard to come by today. The tool of choice for handling this particular format as well as many others, WinAce, still exists though and it works pretty good.
The software has a very clean interface, with a classic layout which resembles other famous compression tools you might be more familiar with. Upon opening it, you will find a file browser in the middle of the main window, a toolbar with the most common functions and several menus filled with features.
WinAce can also integrate into the Windows context menu, so you'll be able to create an archive or extract files on the fly, just by right clicking the files. The application can also handle a wide variety of formats, so it can easily replace your traditional file archiver.
If you want to secure the compressed files, the 'Options' tab provides the means to create passwords on the spot. There is also an interesting function to be found in the 'Tools' menu, a feature that allows you to convert other types of archives to its native '.ace' format.
During our tests WinAce worked without glitches and proved that it can still compete in both processing speed and compression capabilities with more recent applications. Also, the software manages to archive files almost twice as fast as the default Windows Zip function.
All in all, WinAce is a good application, with excellent features, has its proprietary format and can work just as well with many more types of archives. It performs well when it comes to compression ratio as well as speed and the ease of use is also one of WinAce's attributes.
Here are some key features of "WinAce":
· compression of the following formats: ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, JAVA JAR
· decompression of: ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, RAR, ARC, ARJ, GZip, TAR, ZOO, JAR
· multi-volume (disk spanning) archives for ACE, ZIP, CAB
· self-extracting archives (SFX) for ACE and ZIP
· password encryption & recovery records for data protection
· Integrity check for ACE, ZIP, LHA, MS-CAB, RAR, ARC, ARJ, GZip, TAR, ZOO, JAR
· Repair functionality for ACE and ZIP archives
· Authenticity verification for ACE archives
· comment files in HTML, ANSI or ASCII for ACE- and ZIP-Archives
· full command line access (compatible with DOS ACE)
· detailed information for all archive types
· Quickviewer for graphic files, Word Documents, HTML pages and ASCII files
· full drag&drop support
· complete file-management (copying, moving and deleting of files and directories)
· optimization of existing archives
· access to your archives in Windows Explorer and via the context menu (shell extension)
· table of contents in the "Properties" panel of ACE and ZIP files (shell extension)
· 30 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The new version fixes a possible exploit concerning a buffer overflow in maliciously manipulated ARJ-Archives.
· WinAce 2.6x contains several GUI fixes and improvements and updates for other compression formats.
· WinAce now supports the "Zip64" format, which will break the 4 GB barrier for ZIP files.