Softpedia Editor's Review for ClocX
A simple to use analog clock for your desktop
Written by Bogdan Popa on May 23rd, 2012
Desktop clocks have been around for a while, but ClocX promises to impress its users with plenty of configuration options and a fully customizable look to fit the desktop.
ClocX is in essence a simple analog clock for a Windows desktop, offering as a bonus an alarm utility and a calendar.
Both these tools can be quickly accessed by right-clicking the clock, with the alarm feature also allowing you to perform some actions at a configured time, such as playing a sound or a video, running an app or shutting down the computer.
While the calendar is pretty basic, ClocX offers its users a great amount of configuration options, some of them also concerning the way it looks.
Skin support is also available, with lots of skins included in the standard package. What’s more, the program supports transparency and mouse-over transparency, both configurable via the “General” tab in the options screen.
Additionally, you can pin the clock to desktop, enable click through and thus force it to ignore your clicks, hide from the Alt+Tab list, see the date as a System Tray tooltip, adjust priority and even launch the program with Windows.
The size of the clock on the other hand can be further customized from the “Appearance” tab, the same place where you can find options to enable date and a second hand.
ClocX is not at all a resource hog and works smoothly on all Windows versions on the market, without the need for administrator privileges on Windows 7 workstations.
Overall, ClocX is indeed a remarkable tool judging by the number of customization options, so in case you are looking for an analog clock for your desktop, make sure you give this one a try.
Here are some key features of "ClocX":
· Anti-aliasing (3 levels: off / method 1 / method 2)
· 256 levels of transparency with special mouse-over transparency function
· Changeable and configurable styles (24 PNGs and 7 BMPs in standard installation, additional 98 PNGs and 69 BMPs available in full installation or in PNG/BMP packs)
· Per-pixel alphablending for PNG backgrounds
· Advanced window options (unmovable, always on top, pin to desktop, click through)
· Priority settings
· Configurable alarms with ability to show alarm window, play sound, execute application and shutdown computer
· Simple calendar
· Automatic start with Windows (for all users) or with user login (only for your user)
· Language support (Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and more)
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· program completely recompiled with new VC++
· added support for time zone selection from Options dialog
· large icons from separate ICO file moved to main EXE
· improved compatibility with Windows Vista/7/8
· changing option "Run ClocX with Windows" now causes UAC prompt if needed to write into registry
· added many new styles received from fans of ClocX project
· all PNG/BMP themes included in the installation package
· bug fixes
| ||Softpedia guarantees that ClocX 1.6 is 100% CLEAN, which means it does not contain any form of malware, including spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors. [read more >] |