Softpedia Editor's Review for PTBSync
Synchronize your PC time and manage your important tasks from your desktop
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 14th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for PTBSync
PTBSync is an advanced software solution that synchronizes your system time with an atomic clock using the Internet connection, while also providing a bunch of very useful utilities.
Once you install the program, the Windows desktop is assaulted with multiple windows, more or less similar to gadgets, supposed to serve various purposes.
Besides the atomic clock synchronization tool, PTBSync also offers a very simple way to customize the tray clock, being able to display the moon state, the Julian date or even the Islam, Jewish, Iran or Coptic calendars.
Additionally, the program comprises an organizer and a scheduler, as well as a desktop calendar and a highly customizable desktop notes utility. You can change colors, fonts and transparency to better fit your desktop.
Getting back to the atomic clock synchronization utility, PTBSync provides no less than 156 time servers from all over the world, allowing you to pick the one you wish to use. Plus, it boasts proxy server support, as well as a log tool to keep track on clock adjustments.
The “Settings” menu is fairly large and boasts configuration options for every single window on the desktop, be it the calendar, the weather forecast, the clock, the notes or the organizer.
A good thing about the program is that it needs just a moderate amount of CPU and RAM resources to work properly, remaining light with computer resources all the time.
Overall, it is indeed a handy software utility that brings multiple useful tools right on your desktop, while running flawlessly on all Windows versions currently on the market.
Here are some key features of "PTBSync":
· PTBSync can save and restore the positions of the desktop icons (for each screen resolution separately)
· Date and time are fetched from an Atomic clock (Foto) via the internet.
· Adjusts the PC clock with an accuracy of 1/50 second!
· 156 Time servers (NTP) worldwide selectable from a list.
· Time synchronization via Port 80 (HTTP) possible, also through Proxy server
· Highly precise Windows clock by drift compensation.
· Analysis of clock deviations by detailed observation of the Windows clock.
· Additional display of the international UTC time. (UTC is much more better than Internet Beats)
· The deviation when adjusting the clock can be written to a logfile.
· Tooltip with the detailed date.
· Weekday display in all languages (Unicode support).
· The taskbar can be switched to transparent mode.
· Display of Islam, Jewish, Iran, Coptic Calendar.
· Display of Julian date. (for astronomers)
· Display of Moon state.
· Automatic calculation of the age at birthdays / anniversaries.
· A sound may be played with an alarm.
· Scheduler / Alarm Clock: Starting a file or shutdown Windows at a certain time.
· Programmatically turn on the computer and boot Windows (wake up from Hibernate / StandBy)
· Egg Timer
· Automatic calculation of all Holidays of any year and for any country
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Bugfix: On some computers version 5.7 produced elevated CPU load.