Softpedia Editor's Review for Desktop Icon Toy
A small tool made to change the way your desktop icons look and react
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 26th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Desktop Icon Toy
Desktop Icon Toy is a reliable utility that allows you to change the way your icons are organized on the desktop, but also customize their look.
After installation, the application places an icon in the System Tray which gives you the power to modify its settings on the go, but also open the main interface of the app.
Basically, Desktop Icon Toy has dedicated options to change the hover effect and enable a so-called “dancing icon”, but also to switch to a different icon size and animation.
But what's the most impressive is definitely the “Layout” tool. You can thus pick from one of the built-in layouts, be they clock, heart, spiral or pentagon, and arrange the icons on the desktop according to the shape you select.
So, if you go for the clock shape for instance, Desktop Icon Toy automatically refreshes the desktop and changes the layout to show you the correct time as seconds go by.
Other than that, you can enable mouse gestures to arrange icons, set up hotkeys to align icons on the go using predefined settings, hide icons and text, change colors and backgrounds, lock the app with a password and customize the tray menu.
Desktop Icon Toy automatically saves your layout before switching to a new one, so it's pretty easy to revert settings. Plus, you can define shortcuts to jump from one layout to another on the go.
Overall, Desktop Icon Toy is more than a handy tool, it's an entertaining one. Too bad it doesn't work on Windows 7 though.
Desktop Icon Toy description
Here are some key features of "Desktop Icon Toy":
Arrange Desktop Icons:
You can arrange desktop icons by many complex figures, like:
· Clock (all the icons will be aligned as a clock, showing the exact time)
· Circle, Cross, Around, Spiral, Horizontal Ellipse, Vertical Ellipse, Triangle, Rhombus, Pentagon, Hexagon, 4-pointed Star, 5-pointed Star, 6-pointed Star, Hearts
· Align to left, right, top or bottom.
Animated Desktop Icons:
· With Desktop Icon Toy, you could add a hover effect by placing the mouse over a desktop icon. This makes the icon dance or blink & shake its text.
Show/hide Desktop Icons on Demand:
· With Desktop Icon Toy, your desktop icons could be always hidden. And only would be shown when you really need them (like click desktop, mouse over desktop or over desktop icons).
· Now, you could be always enjoying your beautiful wallpaper.
Hide Desktop Icon Texts:
· You can remove the classic ugly text of desktop icons, optional, instead of a cool pop-up tooltip. The whole desktop will become neat and tidy.
Lock Desktop Icons:
· Besides save and restore icons layout, Desktop Icon Toy also allows you to lock the desktop icons. Don't worry about carelessly moving your icons again.
More Funny Things:
· You can remove all desktop icons, but only keep the icon texts.
· You can change desktop icons to report mode, all icons will become small, and icon text will be placed on the right of icons.
· Save different icons' layout according to different screen resolution.
· Automatically re-layout/restore-layout when change screen resolution, or add/delete icons.
· Remove desktop icon shortcut overlay.
· Transparent background of desktop icon texts.
· Change the font color and background color of desktop icon texts.
· 14 days trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Changed - Doesn't hide icon text at first running
· Improved - Fully compatible with Win8