The name NVDA stands for NonVisual Desktop Access. NVDA was created in order to be an open source screen reader for your operating system.
Providing feedback via synthetic speech and Braille, it enables blind or vision impaired people to access computers running Windows for no more cost than a sighted person. Major features include support for over 20 languages and the ability to run entirely from a USB drive with no installation.
Here are some key features of "NVDA":
· Ability to run entirely from a USB stick or other portable media without the need for installation
· Browsing the web with Mozilla Firefox
· Easy to use talking installer
· Working with email using Mozilla Thunderbird
· Early support for Microsoft Internet Explorer
· Basic support for Microsoft Outlook Express / Windows Mail
· Basic support for Microsoft Word and Excel
· Support for accessible Java applications
· Early support for Adobe Reader
· Early support for IBM Lotus Symphony
· support for Windows Command Prompt and console applications
· Automatic announcement of text under the mouse and optional audible indication of the mouse position
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
NVDA can now support Asian character input using IME and text service input methods in all applications, Including:
· Reporting and navigation of candidate lists;
· Reporting and navigation of composition strings; and
· Reporting of reading strings.
· The presence of underline and strikethrough is now reported in Adobe Reader documents.
· When the Windows Sticky Keys function is enabled, the NVDA modifier key will now behave like other modifier keys. This allows you to use the NVDA modifier key without needing to hold it down while you press other keys.
· Automatic reporting of column and row headers is now supported in Microsoft Excel. Press NVDA+shift+c to set the row containing column headers and NVDA+shift+r to set the column containing row headers. Press either command twice in quick succession to clear the setting.
· Support for HIMS Braille Sense, Braille EDGE and SyncBraille Braille displays.
· When Windows 8 Toast notifications appear, NVDA will report them if reporting of hel...