ZoneOS ZoneScreen is a free solution for extending your desktop display using displays of another computers (including Pocket PC), having network connection with main host. In some features it is similar to NetMeeting and Remote Desktop from Microsoft, allowing mirroring local desktop to another computer in the network.
The main difference is that it allows extend local desktop, not only mirroring it. Also, you could use ZoneScreen for Windows Mobile to extend/mirror your desktop to screen of your handheld.
ZoneScreen consists of two parts: kernel-mode (running with privileges of Windows kernel) driver for virtual display (which is visible to Windows just as normal video card with monitor attached to it), and user-mode (running as usual user application like Notepad) wizard which is responsible for capturing image, transmitting it over the network, and drawing it at another computer.
Machine, whose desktop is extended, called server. Server machine have display driver installed and ZoneScreen wizard running in server mode. Another machine which acts only as external display called client. Client machine have only ZoneScreen wizard running in client mode. Both parts of ZoneScreen (driver and wizard) are completely independent and can be used separately.
This mean that in case we are interested only in mirroring desktop image, we do not need to install virtual display driver, and if we are extending desktop with ZoneScreen display driver we could use any other software, for example RealVNC, for transmitting desktop image over the network. In this case we need transfer only space of virtual display (details).
· Local Area Network Connection
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Hooking GDI functions to have list of updated rectangles in driver.
· Mapping frame buffer and list of updated rectangles to user-mode
· client application, like ZoneScreen Wizard or TightVNC Server.
· For security reasons buffer mapping is limited to local administrators.
· Checkmark for stretch/scale menu option.
· Shutdown deadlock fixed in Wizard in server mode.
· Help documentation as .chm file.
· Per-user and per-machine installation options.
· Elevated driver installation in UAC-enabled environment.
· Elevation for adding custom driver resolution.
· Refactored driver installation and fixed uninstall.
· Attaching and detaching ZoneScreen display from Wizard menu.