Softpedia Editor's Review for BarracudaDrive
Store, access, and share files online
Written by Gabriela Vatu on January 21st, 2013
Sometimes, public cloud services are unreliable as far as up-time and security goes. BarracudaDrive is a program that can help you transform the home computer into a web server.
The program has a simple interface that is accessible through the default web browser. By creating a small account that requires an email address, a user name and password, you can start setting up your personal server.
BarracudaDrive is exclusively hosted by you, becoming a personal cloud service. You may store files and apps and access them from anywhere, whether computer or phone, as long as they have an Internet connection.
The application gives you a quick way to store, access and share files online. You can add entire directories or individual files, depending on what you want to be able to access. Changing the folder properties is quite easy and it can be done from the right-click menu. For instance, items can be locked or unlocked, or simply deleted from the server.
Thus, you may access them from any computer or share the link with friends and family so they access the files on their own.
The program also provides an Internet configuration wizard that helps set up the server. However, advanced users can manually adjust all the settings.
The bottom line is that BarracudaDrive is an interesting app that can satisfy the basic storage needs. Inexperienced users might find the program difficult to work with at first.
Here are some key features of "BarracudaDrive":
· The wizard helps non techies configure the server and gives detailed instructions for how to configure a home cable/DSL network. The wizard can automatically configure UPnP enabled routers. The wizard lets you activate a Dynamic DNS client that keeps your domain name working if you have a varying IP address -- i.e. a dynamic WAN IP address.
Content Management System:
· Provides you with a single application that has all the functionality necessary to create, deploy, and manage your own website. The free CMS is so easy to use you can have your grandmother be your new webmaster.
Electronic Bulletin Board:
· Replaces obtrusive emails with a more convenient way of communicating.
· Use your company/home computer as a centralized and secure file server.
Web File Manager:
· Easy upload and download of files using a Web Browser, view photos, and stream music using the integrated MP3 player.
HTTPS Tunnel Server:
· Provides road warriors and business partners with secure access to back-end servers and resources such as email servers.
Various SSL VPN tunnel clients:
· On a client computer, download and install any of the 3 clients for the HTTPS Tunnel Server.
· High Speed Internet
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed internal miss configuration that could lead to the error message "413 Request Entity Too Large"
· New XSS filter for the forum