Softpedia Editor's Review for EF Commander
File manager, archiver, viewer, FTP-client for your operating sytem desktop
Written by Alexandru Teodorovici on November 11th, 2011
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for EF Commander
File managers are tools built in order to make various system locations more accessible. They are usually meant for those that look for an improved version of the file manager that's integrated into Windows.
Some are more complete than others, and others lack an option or two that would have made them great. However, one thing is for sure, there are certainly options to choose from.
EF Commander is a file manager that reminds us of Total Commander, one of the most complete file managers out there. However, EF Commander does come with a number of functions that makes it stand apart from other file managers.
First of all, you can synchronize your directories, a really useful option in case you want to keep a backup. Also, you can use the split function to separate large files into an exact number of pieces, in case they don't fit on an external storage device.
More than that, the mini task manager, accessible via the“Kill Process” button allows you to end the processes you no longer need or use.
Furthermore, EF Commander comes with a double-pane layout, allowing the user to manage files and folders in a very easy and comfortable way.
Other features include the application's ability to unpack and view archive contents. It will be able to unpack your ZIP, RAR, ACE and other type of archives.
It is also possible to connect and upload / download files to a FTP server. Furthermore you can write data to a CD / DVD disc or delete the data that's contained on a rewriteable disc. And, in case you get bored when trying to delete your disc, the included audio player will allow you to listen to the music you want.
Luckily, these are just a couple of the features included in the program, and more can be accessed from the menu bar or dedicated shortcuts.
EF Commander comes with a dense Options window that let's you create you customize the program. Simply put, your shortcuts, your toolbars, your EF Commander.
The program is certainly one of the most capable ones found on the market and it's up to you to decide if it deserves the price tag it's currently wearing after you've tested it.
EF Commander description
Here are some key features of "EF Commander":
Easy to use:
· The modern interface helps you to have full control over your files and folders.
· Define just the views you need in each pane for your folders and files.
Built-in media player:
· The EF Commander have a full featured hi quality audio player with playlist and ID3 Tag support. Plays in background with less resources usage MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, WMA and WAV. More formats can be play over Winamp Plugins.
· A versatile function for comfortable renaming of numerous files in a processing step. Use a flexible concept for the clear definition of renaming rules, include rules for MP3 files and EXIF informations.
· Quickly and easily get an overview your photos or other image collections.
32 bit multi-threading, parallel file operations:
· All long operations are run with multi-tasking. You can run any number of different operations at the same time, or several instances of the same operation - for example, you can have several "copy" commands going simultaneously.
Direct link to PDAs with Windows CE:
· EF Commander was the first file manager worldwide with this feature. Handle your data in the same way as on your desktop or laptop computer.
Burn CDs and DVDs direct from EF Commander:
· Nero Burning ROM is required.
Internal packers for more than 20 archive formats:
· Use EF Commander to pack files or whole folders in any of the common archive formats. No external programs are required.
· Supported formats: 7-Zip, ACE, ARC, ARJ, BZIP2, CAB, CPIO, GZIP, IMG, ISO (ISO9660), LHA, RAR, RPM, SFX, SQX, TAR, TBZ, TGZ, ZIP, Zip64, ZOO
Internal viewer for more than 30 file formats:
· View picture files and movies, and play MP3, Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, WMA and WAV audio files, without having to use any other software.
Use XnView and IrfanView as add-ons:
· Enlarge the number of available formats to 400 or more. EF Commander runs quietly in the background, but remains fully available to you. Files can also be managed in the internal viewer, in the quick view mode, or as thumbnails.
· The built-in FTP client features resume download and FxP (server to server transfers).
Internal text and HEX editor:
· EF Commander has full text and hex editors for files that are limited only by your system resources.
Functions to split/join large files:
· Split large files into smaller parts, and recombine the parts.
· Check the integrity of your data. EF Commandersupports the SFV, MD5 and SHA1 formats.
· Synchronize your notebook or your LAN with your work station.
External plug-in support for packers, viewers, file system and contents:
· Extend the functionality of EF Commander with external plugins. Supported formats include WLX, WCX, WFX and Winamp decode plugins.
· A Pentium computer
· 6 MB free space on your harddisk
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· The first Commander with direct link to PDAs (Windows CE only, since version 3.0, 12/01/2001). File manager, archiver, viewer, FTP-client, HEX-Editor