Softpedia Editor's Review for MacDrive Standard
Share files between MAC disks and Windows
Written by Bogdan Popa on February 17th, 2012
Although Windows holds the lion's share when it comes to OS popularity, lots of people are also using Mac OS X, probably due to the eye-candy interface that Apple has always offered along with its products. Migrating from Windows to OS X and vice-versa can be quite troublesome at times, but not if MacDrive Standard is used.
MacDrive Standard is an application specifically created to help Windows users access their Mac-formatted drives without hassle, so it might really come in handy to those working on these two platforms at the same time.
Hard disks formatted in Mac OS X are not recognized by Windows by default, so connecting such a piece of hardware to a Windows machine can be quite tricky. But MacDrive Standard is meant to facilitate the entire process by offering powerful features alongside a clean and attractive interface.
This application relies on a clean interface which not only provides instant access to its features straight from the main window, but also offers detailed descriptions regarding each of them thus ensuring even beginners get to use the app successfully.
This way, they can access Mac disks, burn Mac CDs or DVDs, create or format Mac disks or repair a damaged one without risking losing the data it stores. Each of these operations launches a new window so that users do not need to operate within a crowded interface.
The Settings section is the place where MacDrive Standard can be disabled without uninstalling, or rendering the connected Mac disks read-only, so that unauthorized users cannot perform any changes on them.
MacDrive Standard can be quite useful if one plans to migrate from Windows to OS X, but it comes with a price. It is a trial tool, so once the evaluation period ends, a license needs to be purchased or the software has to be uninstalled.
MacDrive Standard description
Here are some key features of "MacDrive Standard":
Manage Mac Disks – Format, Partition, Repair:
· We’ve streamlined the Mac Disk Manager, making it even easier to format and partition your Mac disks and hard drives. We’ve even improved MacDrive’s repair disk feature, so your data is safer than ever.
Burn Mac-formatted CDs and DVDs:
· Along with the ability to format Mac disks from your PC, you can use MacDrive’s CD/DVD Creator to burn Mac CDs and DVDs with ease.
Moving from Windows to Mac:
· We all know what a hassle it is to move data from one computer to another. Going cross-platform from a Mac to a PC only makes it worse. Thanks to MacDrive, the process is a lot easier. Simply grab your Mac-formatted hard drive and start coping files from your Windows machine to your Mac, or vice versa. And don’t worry about older disks—MacDrive recognizes both HFS and HFS+ volumes from classic Mac OS and OS X.
Boot Camp, VMWare and Parallels:
· If you have a Mac and run Windows with Apple’s Boot Camp utility, you will soon realize MacDrive is a must-have utility. MacDrive not only gives you access to your Mac media from the Windows OS, but also direct access to the Mac OS partition creating a true cross-platform experience. You’ll have complete access to your Mac desktop, music, photos, and other documents.
· If you run a virtual environment on your Mac, using either VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop software, MacDrive gives you access to Mac-formatted external drives (i.e. USB, FireWire).
· Internet Explorer 6 (or newer)
· MacDrive requires less than 10MB hard disk storage
· 5-day trial
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed: Some Windows 8 Store apps are unable to access files on Mac disks
· Fixed: MacDrive was unnecessarily protecting partitions on removable media disks
· Improved: License activation is now more reliable