Softpedia Editor's Review for UltraExplorer
A File Manager that features tabbed browsing and user configurable windows with multiple docking options
Written by Elena Opris on March 2nd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for UltraExplorer
UltraExplorer is a very interesting file managing system that supports tabbed browsing, among others.
The user interface of the application is clean and simple to navigate through. You can even use the hotkey usually applied to web browsers, in order to open a new tab (CTRL + T).
So, you can browse a folder to a new tab, enable auto refresh and toggle the viewing mode between icon, small icon, list, details, thumbnails, tile, detail thumbs and column mode, as well as enable dual pane listviews.
In addition, you can create and organize a favorites list, use the basic file managing commands, such as “cut”, “copy” and “paste”, enter edit mode, map a network drive, flatten a folder, use a search function, calculate folder sizes and enable context menu extensions.
Furthermore, you can display the "BreadCrumb" bar to quickly access parent folders in the current path hierarchy, fully customize the user interface, view history, filter and drop stack windows, and more.
The file manager takes up an extremely low amount of system resources (definitely lower than Windows Explorer), supports several languages and keyboard shortcuts, and comes packed with a comprehensive help file for all noobies.
We haven't come across any problems during our tests. The bottom line is that UltraExplorer is a breeze of fresh air compared to other file managing systems and we definitely recommend it to those users (especially advanced ones) who are looking for an alternative to Windows Explorer.
Here are some key features of "UltraExplorer":
· Fully configurable user interface
· All windows are reconfigurable with multiple docking options as well as the ability to float or be hidden
· ToolWindows have Toolbars that maybe hidden or docked in any location.
· User definable shortcut keys
· User definable visual themes
· Fully configurable layouts
· Classic Treeview/Listview layout
· Dual Listview layout
· New ListMode layout
· Any combination of the above can also be designed
· Ultra fast display rendering and folder enumeration
· Fully integrated Tabbing feature
· Tabbing is context sensitive to which listview is currently active
· "New Tab" initial location user definable
· The Tabs are drag drop aware. You can drop files on the tab to place them in the folder.
· "BreadCrumb" bar allow fast access to parent folders in the current path hierarchy
· Dropdown menus allow direct access to other folders in the folder hierarchy or to the property sheet for the folder
· Supports Total Commander Lister Plug-ins
· An UltraExplorer exclusive. The components used the for file listings, unlike other Explorer replacements, are faster then Explorer itself. This means it is practical to have multiple lists of files visible at one time. This will quickly become a favorite view for many applications.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed - Bug in the writing of the Options to the options file fix from 188.8.131.52. 184.108.40.206 would crash on a restart after opening once and saving the Options file