Softpedia Editor's Review for MobileMe Control Panel
Easily set up sync on your Windows PC
Written by Ciprian Paius on February 8th, 2012
Until recently, MobileMe was Apple's collection of online services and software designed primarily for OSX, iPad, iPhone and iPod users. Replaced by iCloud in the last quarter of 2011, MobileMe also addressed the larger mass of Windows users.
MobileMe Control Panel for Windows is an application designed to synchronize your calendar, bookmarks or contacts with the online storage service. It also enables you to manage your MobileMe iDisk for online file storage and sharing. In order to do that, you must have a MobileMe account, so only consider using MobileMe if you already have one, for Apple is no longer offering subscriptions for MobileMe, but instead encourages you to use iCloud.
You can choose to automatically synchronize the locally stored data with the one on the MobileMe server to get the most efficient synchronization. The application allows you to upload your contacts, calendars and Internet browser bookmarks so that you can access it online or download it to your iPhone, iPad or iPod. Just select the applications you want MobileMe Control Panel to sync with and it does the rest.
Although you can easily access your MobileMe email, the application itself allows you to setup your default desktop email program to check for your MobileMe mails, send and receive them.
The program proves to be extremely useful if, for instance, you have a PC at home, a Mac at work and an iPhone on you. Using MobileMe Control Panel you make sure that your contacts, mails, messages or calendar are always in sync.
Nevertheless, the application has its shortcomings. For instance, the flawed synchronization is one of most reported issues. Moreover, when it comes to syncing your contacts, calendar or bookmarks, it offers compatibility only for a limited number of applications (such as Outlook or Internet Explorer).
MobileMe Control Panel description
Here are some key features of "MobileMe Control Panel":
· Email, contacts, and calendars. In sync everywhere you go.
· You might have a Mac at home, a PC at work, and an iPhone or iPod touch. How do you keep them all in sync? With MobileMe, your email, contacts, and calendar stay the same wherever you check them, no matter what device you use.
· Works with the applications
· you already use.
· MobileMe works with the applications you know well. Microsoft Outlook on a PC. Mail, Address Book, and iCal on a Mac. Changes you make in these desktop applications are regularly synced with MobileMe.
· Me.com. Your desktop everywhere.
· Access and manage your email, contacts, calendar, photos, and files at me.com. All with feature-rich web apps so easy to use, you might prefer them to your desktop applications.
· Microsoft Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010 (32-bit) for calendar sync
· MobileMe Account
· iTunes 9.2 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· This update fixes issues and improves reliability for the new MobileMe Calendar in Outlook on Windows XP.