Softpedia Editor's Review for iTunes
Your music, movies, TV shows, apps, and more.
Written by Bogdan Popa on January 25th, 2013
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for iTunes
iTunes is an advanced application that's not only a very good media player, but also a great iPod and iPhone manager. Simplicity is perhaps the most appropriate word that can summarize its overall looks and usability.
iTunes enables you to do anything you want with your gadgets, including backups, synchronization, contact management and, most importantly, install applications from the Apple Store. iPhone owners surely know that in order to buy and install apps hosted by the iTunes Store, they need the downloadable application which provides the necessary environment for purchasing software in a secure method.
The application will play your videos and music in a heartbeat, help you organize playlists and library items. Other than that, iTunes has all the features you'd expect in a media player, plus something special: you can easily subscribe to podcasts, TV shows and other types of content and each of these files are automatically delivered to your computer as soon as they become available.
The 'iTunes Backup' feature comes in quite handy and will allow you to save your library to CDs or DVDs. You can backup just the Store purchases, or the entire content, as you wish. There is also an option that enables you to perform an incremental backup, which means that only the items added or changed since the last backup will be updated.
With iTunes, everything is kept at hand and the seamless integration with external devices like iPods and iPhones allows you to manage everything with great ease. Of course you can use it as a media player as well, but it's best you take it for a spin to see for yourself what it can actually do for you.
Here are some key features of "iTunes":
Follow your favorite artists:
· True fans know it all: What their favorite artists are playing — and when and where they’re playing it. Set your inner groupie free by following your favorite artists on Ping.
· Follow your friends. Find new music.
· There’s no better way to discover new music than to find out what your friends are listening to. Ping gives you even more insight into your friends’ musical tastes through profile pages.
· Stay up to date on who, what, when, and where.
· Keep musically connected with the Recent Activity feed in Ping. See a list of recent updates showing what friends, artists, and celebrities are up to on iTunes.
Where listening, watching, and playing start:
· iTunes lets you enjoy all your music, movies, video, and TV shows on your Mac or PC. When you want to watch or listen to something, you no longer have to look through your CDs or flip through channels — just go to your computer and open iTunes. With your entire media collection in your iTunes library, you can browse everything faster, organize it all more easily, and play anything whenever the mood strikes.
· Apple TV
· Apple TV has been redesigned to be small in size but big on entertainment. Rent from the largest selection of HD movies — many available the same day they come out on DVD. Watch Netflix titles instantly. Rent TV shows, commercial free in HD. And stream photos and music from your computer to your widescreen TV.
· A PC with a 1GHz Intel or AMD processor
· Intel Pentium D or faster processor is required to play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store
· 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras from the iTunes Store
· 512MB of RAM; 1GB is required to play HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras
· DirectX 9.0-compatible video card with 32MB of video RAM; 64MB recommended
· QuickTime-compatible audio card
· Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
· iTunes-compatible CD or DVD recorder to create audio CDs, MP3 CDs, or back-up CDs or DVDs
· QuickTime 7.6.6 or later is required (included)
· 200MB of available disk space
· Screen reader support requires Window-Eyes 7.0 or later
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· MiniPlayer now includes a beautiful new view that showcases your album artwork. In addition, a progress bar is now built right into MiniPlayer.
Improved Songs View:
· You can now enjoy your album artwork while in Songs view.
· Albums with multiple discs now appear as a single album.
· This update also provides performance improvements when searching and sorting large iTunes libraries.