Softpedia Editor's Review for KVIrc
A light IRC client with full IPv6 support
Written by Sorin Cirneala on March 11th, 2013
KVIrc is a useful application that allows you to connect and exchange messages with other people by using the IRC protocol. You can use it to connect to one of the chat channels available on the Internet.
The Internet Relay Chat protocol is a widely-used means of communication that enables users from around the world to exchange instant messages. This IRC client is designed to connect to multiple servers and channels within minutes from the installation.
You can use a IRC server from the list included in the application or specify your preferred servers. The list can be customized by adding the address of the server that you want to use and the connection credentials. For each server you have the option to define custom channels for quick connections.
The program includes a built-in script interpreter that enables you to create and edit actions, events and popups. The interpreter uses the KV Scripting language and supports Perl in order to help you enhance the program's usage.
KVIrc features a familiar interface that is easy to use and allows you to organize the windows in order to view multiple channels at the same time. The documentation included in the package is designed to help the beginners use the application and get acquainted with the scripting language.
Overall, KVIrc is a flexible tool that can be customized by changing toolbars, adjusting the theme colors or even by installing other themes. The functions of the program can be extended by installing add-ons such as a news ticker or a file sharing service.
During our test, the program required insignificant resources to un and had no impact on the other running applications.
This IRC client is a reliable tool that can help you connect with other users and to organize group discussions. The advanced scripting tools recommends for any user that wants to automate certain actions while using an IRC network.
Here are some key features of "KVIrc":
· User interface
· Full GUI Based configuration
· MDI floatable windows
· Built-in help browser
· Themes support (all configurable by GUI or scripting)
· Pseudo-transparency support (up to the desktop on KDE)
· Drag & Drop toolbar editing
· Activity Notifier Pop-Up
· Status bar with Applet support
· Unread text mark
· 14 Languages Translations
· Proxy support (SOCKv4, HTTP, SOCKSv5)
· Full IPv6 support (also for DCC transfers)
· SSL support (also over IPv6)
· Micryption support
· Modular architecture: unfrequently used features reside in external modules and are loaded only when necessary
· Extensibility: a huge API for writing extension modules
· UNICODE support
· Multiserver connection
· Notify lists (yes, WATCH is supported)
· Ignore lists
· Registered users database
· Lag meter
· Configurable logging
· Standard DCC CHAT and SEND (with resume) support
· Extended DCC types: VOICE, RSEND, GET, RECV
· DCC CHAT over SSL
· DCC bandwidth limit (ability to set it "on the fly")
· Built-in scripting language interpreter
· scalars, arrays and hashes.
· scriptable toolbars
· Perl support
· Ability to translate scripts (by the means of the tr() function)
· Objects support in scripting language: yes , now you can do OOP
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
Support for new os/architectures:
· Mac OS X support, clang support
· 64-bit Windows support
· improved FreeBSD integration
· an experimental OS/2 patch
More scripting power:
· the interface to the popup subsystem has been rewritten: the new popup module
· a new interface to the userlist: the userlist module
· a new webView class that embeds a webkit
· improved SQL classes
· a new trayicon KVS class
· added a default script manager to restore default scripts without overwriting custom user scripts
· lots of new functions: $file.time(), $insideAlias(), $log.export(), $file.diskspace(), $isBot(), $gender(), $context.connectionStartTime, $context.lastMessageTime, $listtimers(), $window.isDocked, $aliasBody(), $file.readBytes(), $file.writeBytes(), window.savePropertiesAsDefault, $chan.modeParam(), ...
· new SSL certificate related stuff: $dcc.getSSLCertInfo(), $certificate(), $str.evpSign(), $str.evpVerify()
A lot of new miscellaneous features:
· a module to support FiSH irc encryption
· smart logging paths usin...