Softpedia Editor's Review for Gajim
A fully featured and easy to use Jabber client.
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 18th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Gajim
Gajim is a powerful Jabber client that comes with an impressive number of features and customization options.
Setting up a new account in Gajim is quite an easy task because it all comes down to writing down the ID and the password. Of course, there are more connection options available too, and so are dedicated field concerning personal information.
With a tabbed chat window to make sure you can handle multiple conversations at the same time with minimum effort, Gajim also offers group chat support and file transfers.
Although file transfers sometimes fail to work properly, Gajim still remains a good piece of software with support for multiple accounts, emoticons and avatars, just like any other full-featured instant messenger on the market.
Obviously, it lets you set status messages, manage contacts, customize appearance, log conversations and change themes and skins with just a few clicks.
The settings screen enables you to configure almost every single bit of the application, including tab positions, colors, spell checkers, preset messages, sounds, notifications, the port used for file transferring and emoticons.
Gajim is fast and stable, while working with a minimum amount of hardware resources, regardless of the Windows version running on your system.
All in all, Gajim is clearly one of the top Jabber clients on the market and the only problems concern the GTK integration into Windows. It provides a great amount of features, a pleasant interface and multi-protocol support, which are actually the main features users expect from such an application.
Here are some key features of "Gajim":
· Tabbed chat window and single window modes
· Group chat support (with MUC protocol), invitation, chat to groupchat transformation, minimize groupchat to roster
· Emoticons, Avatars, PEP (user activity, mood and tune)
· File transfer, Room Bookmarks
· Metacontacts Support
· Trayicon, Speller, extented chat history functionalities
· TLS, GPG and End-To-End encryption support (with SSL legacy support)
· Transport Registration support
· Service Discovery including Nodes, user search
· Wikipedia, dictionary and search engine lookup
· Multiple accounts support
· DBus Capabilities.
· XML Console
· link local (bonjour / zeroconf), BOSH
· Gajim is available in 25 languages: Basque, Belarusian, Brasilian, British, Bulgarian, Chinese (simplified), Croatian, Czech, Danish, English, Esperanto, French, Galician, German, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Slovak, Swedish and Ukrainian
· GTK+ Runtime Environment
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Plugins are now translatable
· Workarround a D-Bus issue with non-character unicode
· Fix windows usage when GTK library is already in PATH