Softpedia Editor's Review for Omega Messenger
The only tool you'll need to chat using MSN or Yahoo
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 12th, 2012
Omega Messenger is a basic instant messenger that allows you to chat with your Windows Live Messenger or Yahoo Messenger contacts.
There are already a bunch of similar apps on the market, but Omega Messenger is a bit different because it only boasts very simple features and a minimal interface.
The appearance however is terrible and although it helps the app serve its purpose, it’s far from what you may expect from this kind of tool. It looks old and outdated and you may even need a couple of minutes to figure out how to use the program.
First of all, you need to configure you Yahoo, WLM, AIM or ICQ accounts and you have nothing else to do than to input the username and password. That’s basically the whole configuration screen, so all features are grouped right in the main window.
While also offering conference support, Omega Messenger also includes emoticons and a basic email checker for Yahoo and Hotmail accounts, thus letting users know when a new mail lands in their inbox.
Plus, a file transfer utility is also available, and so is an archive to access the previously logged conversations.
Other than that, Omega Messenger remains a basic piece of software and, as you can see, it comprises a very limited number of features.
That being said, Omega Messenger is just an interesting idea, but it needs a lot of major improvements to become a top product. It’s stable and reliable, but it simple lacks many important features and an appealing interface.
Omega Messenger description
Here are some key features of "Omega Messenger":
· Chat via text and conference in real time
· Transfer files quickly and more reliably than with official MSN or Yahoo clients!
· Get email from your Yahoo! account and Hotmail accounts
· Express yourself with emoticons
· Is small efficient and do not consume huge system resources as official MSN or Yahoo clients
· Quick Search feature provided by Google
· Connecting with MSN, Yahoo, AIM and ICQ instant messenger
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Upgraded Yahoo Protocol Support
· Upgraded MSN Protocol Support
· Bug fixes
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime
· Offers to download or install software or components (Advanced System Optimizer) that the program does not require to fully function
· Creates desktop or start menu shortcuts for items unrelated to the program's functionality