Pidgin-Encryption transparently encrypts your instant messages with RSA encryption. Easy-to-use, but very secure.
Here are some key features of "Pidgin-Encryption (formerly Gaim-Encryption)":
· Automatically creates a public/private key pair for you upon loading the plugin
· Automatically transmits your public key to other users.
· Supports 512 - 4096 bit keys.
· Saves keys of known users, and warns you if their public key has changed.
· Embeds all encryption and keys inside HTML, so if the other user doesn't have the plugin, they will get a little message telling them about the plugin, and won't get a screen full of garbage.
· Stores keys in human readable files in your .gaim/.pidgin directory, in case you ever need to copy/edit them by hand. Which you really shouldn't have to do.
· Automatically recognizes if you are chatting with someone who has the plugin- see the Preferences dialog.
· Available for the Windows version of Pidgin.
· Modular and extensible. If you want to define a different type of encryption, you can use this plugin as a wrapper to take care of transporting the encrypted binary over the IM pipe.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· If HTML is being stripped out of headers (for AIM)
· now fall back to non-HTML headers. Hopefully will avoid
· problems when AIM servers start breaking HTML again
· Moved smiley file (crypto.png)
· Fixes for Win32 build (Michael Johnson)
· Better detection/correction of bad file permissions
· Now attempts to switch an explicity specified key path
· to the users .pidgin directory
· Fix for possible crash on startup
· Fixes for various warnings w/GCC 4.1.3
· Tamil translation (drtvasudevan)
· Simplified Chinese translation (Strong Chen)
· Portugese translation (Pedro Pinto)
· Updated German translation (Björn Voigt)
· Fix for crash on exit (Paul Aurich)