Softpedia Editor's Review for Mozilla Thunderbird
Email client with tabs, great search, and email archiving
Written by Bogdan Popa on October 31st, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is a cross-platform email client that also includes a news reader and a chat module. It is able to manage multiple email accounts with advanced message filtering.
The installation process is easy-to-follow, it only requires you to press a few ‘Next’ buttons, after which you can get started on managing your email identities.
Thunderbird sports a modern, yet user-friendly interface that concentrates all of the software’s functions in a few menus. Popular features such as writing a new email, chatting or search are made available from a quick access toolbar.
Managing email accounts with Thunderbird is really easy. You can open emails in new tabs, you can use labels to mark important messages and you can read news without ever leaving its interface.
In terms of security, Thunderbird is no less disappointing. The Junk email filters blocks dangerous content, while the anti-phishing feature prevents your passwords and data from being stolen. Thunderbird’s security engine also includes digital signatures, certificates and encryption.
The chat feature allows you to communicate with your friends in an easy and comfortable manner (it supports XMPP, IRC and Twitter). You can add new contacts, join a chat room and customize your status.
The last, but not the least of Thunderbird’s many advantages is that it’s highly customizable. New features can be added via extensions, just like in Firefox’s case. The overall look and feel can also be changed by using themes or skins.
In conclusion, Thunderbird gets a thumbs-up from us. It allows you to manage multiple email identities, it can be used to chat and to read news and it can be adjusted to your needs with the help of addons.
Mozilla Thunderbird description
Here are some key features of "Mozilla Thunderbird":
· Simple to use, powerful, and customizable, Thunderbird is a full-featured email application. Thunderbird supports IMAP and POP mail protocols, as well as HTML mail formatting. Easily import your existing email accounts and messages. Built-in RSS capabilities, powerful quick search, spell check as you type, global inbox, deleting attachments and advanced message filtering round out Thunderbird's modern feature set.
Junk Mail Filters:
· Each email you receive passes through Thunderbird's leading-edge junk mail filters. Each time you mark messages as spam, Thunderbird improves its filtering so you can spend more time reading the mail that matters. Thunderbird will also use your mail provider's spam filters to keep junk mail out of your inbox.
· Thunderbird protects you from increasingly common email scams "also known as “phishing” which try to fool you into handing over your passwords and other personal information. Thunderbird will tell you when it thinks a message might be a scam.
· Thunderbird provides enterprise and government grade security features including S/MIME, digital signing, message encryption, support for certificates and security devices. Attachments are never run without your express permission, protecting you from many worms and viruses.
· The new Software Update feature makes it easy to get the latest security and feature updates to Thunderbird. Thunderbird automatically downloads these small updates in the background and prompts you when they are ready to be installed.
· Select new button controls for your toolbars, install extensions to add new features, or change the look of your browser with themes the way Thunderbird looks and works is under your control.
· Pentium 233 MHz (Recommended: Pentium 500MHz or greater)
· Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP: 786 MB RAM (Recommended: 1GB RAM or greater)
· Windows 2000: 256 MB RAM (Recommended: 512 MB RAM or greater)
· 52 MB hard drive space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· A Menu Button is now shown to new users by default
· Tabs are now drawn in the title bar on Windows
· An issue causing spell-checking only parts of words in Thunderbird 16 is now fixed (790475)
· An issue causing Thunderbird 16 to repeatedly download emails is now fixed (806760)
· RSS feeds can now be viewed in the Wide View Layout (531397)
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime