Softpedia Editor's Review for POP Peeper
Will alert you when you have new email on any of your POP3, Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo etc accounts
Written by Bogdan Popa on November 19th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for POP Peeper
POP Peeper is an email notifier that can get along with any POP3 or IMAP account, but also with Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo Mail accounts as it comes with a very clean and intuitive interface.
This application is not a full-fledged email client, but rather a notification tool, so it will alert you every time a new message arrives in your inbox.
It does have the power to send emails, but it doesn't comprise any spam filters or other tools seen in email clients, so it's just supposed to be used like an email notifier and nothing more.
However, it does an amazing job. The installer also gives you the option to drop some additional plugins, including WebMail, SendMail, IMAP and SSL, but also to choose whether to run the tool at Windows Startup or to install help manuals.
POP Peeper is able not only to import accounts from the most popular email clients currently on the market, such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Outlook Express, but also to guide you through the setup of new accounts, providing valuable information before every step of the process.
As for the application itself, it doesn't look too different from a regular email client, with a similar layout, but with no buttons to control the incoming messages.
A great thing is that the user can assign a color to each configured accounts, so that you should have no problems in keeping things organized when it comes to new messages.
As said, the program does have some email sending options, so you can indeed send new messages from within POP Peeper, but it also has the option to run the mail client once a new email arrives in your inbox.
All in all, POP Peeper definitely remains a five-star product. Not only because it has so many great features, but also because it's very accessible and easy to use.
POP Peeper description
Here are some key features of "POP Peeper":
· Easy Setup - accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
· Supports POP3, IMAP (including AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, etc), SMTP, GMail, HotmailMSNLiveMail, Yahoo, Mail.com, MyWay, Excite, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno, NetZero
· IDLE is supported for IMAP accounts which allows instant notification when new mail arrives in your mailbox
· Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
· Send Email directly from POP Peeper
· HTML Email Support
· Password Protection
· Address book
· Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
· Send, Save and Open file attachments
· Run POP Peeper off your portable device
· No account limit -- notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
· Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing Scroll Lock LED and more
· Specify different intervals for each account
· Extensive Help with useful tips and information
· Email Notification Options
· Sound notifications: single sound for any new mail, or a customized sound for each account
· Tray icon notification, with options to display the color and number of new messages for each account
· Flashing scroll lock LED
· Windows popup alert indicating which account(s) received new email
· Automatically open POP Peeper or launch your email client
· Skinnable popup (optional download)
· ScreenSaver (optional download)
· Chime can repeat a sound until acknowledged andor launch another program when new mail arrives (optional download)
· Additional Notification Plugins may be available
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· New connection option, "Assume always online" for certain internet connection types
· New option to adjust font size for HTML-based messages
· Fix: Imap: Idle wouldn't engage if polling interval was even number
· Fix: Imap: Potential crash when using SSL and server disconnects unexpectedly
· Improved Date/Time formatting parsing for certain languages
· Fix for archiving webmail-based messages
· Fix for reply-to when including a name
· Fixes for some cases where HTML view wasn't using the correct character set
· Fix for checkmail trayicon showing even if relevant setting was disabled
· Fix: when viewing HTML, links with anchors would not open to the anchor and just open at the top of the webpage
· Fix: Size column is right-justified
· Fix: When viewing a message in HTML and clicking on a link, the anchor wasn't being sent to the browser (when applicable)
· Fix: In certain cases, an empty account name was allowed to be created
· Checking accounts using a folder will result in error if Add-on Pack i...