With the help of FtpVC, you can easily upload and download files or folders, check in, check out and label files on a remote server, that are part of a project.
It also allows comparing files on the server to their local versions showing results in a two-pane window. In other words, FtpVC may be used for version control of source files, the makefile, or any other data.
The simplicity of this program, in its current form, lies in the fact that it lacks some advanced features that are common to more sophisticated version control systems, such as branching and atomic transactions.
On the other hand, one of its biggest advantages is the fact that no server setup is required -- FtpVC utilizes standard FTP servers. FtpVC provides all basic version control features that are necessary for any collaborative development. Thus, users from all over the world can now jointly and safely work on the same project without the possibility of conflict, with very little setup.
Here are some key features of "FtpVC":
· Does not require a version control server - uses standard FTP protocol.
· Manual and automatic reconnection to the FTP server
· Includes standard FTP client features (put, delete, rename files and directories, create directories)
· Allows you to add, attach, get, check out, check in, undo check out, and label files
· Allows you to lock and unlock files
· Allows compression and encryption of remote files
· Maintains file revision history, and lets you rollback to previous versions
· E-mail subscription to version control events for a specific file
· Customizable list of file extensions for ASCII transfer
· View filters let you limit your view to only certain types of files
· Shows differences between different file versions, using a file comparison tool of your choice (ExamDiff by default)
· Supports multiple version control projects
· Provides recursive file management
· Supports SMTP servers with authentication and passive FTP
· Caching of temporary files for better performance
· Fully customizable
· 30 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Windows 7 support
· Ability to move files/directories, along with their version control information
· Ability to add files without attaching them to version control
· Windows filetype icons used in the views
· Ability to customize columns in the file view
· Ability to reset disabled messages
· UTC time strings stored in stubs
· Local-only directories were not shown in the tree in recursive mode
· Improved FTP performance
· Improved status messages in the output view
· More efficient selected status update