Softpedia Editor's Review for ABC [ Yet Another Bittorrent Client ]
ABC - An improved client for the Bittorrent peer-to-peer file distribution solution
Written by Bogdan Popa on May 23rd, 2012
Sharing files via the popular BitTorrent protocol is still quite widespread and since it requires specialized software there are many utilities designed to help you get the files you need as easily and quickly as possible.
ABC is a BitTorrent client that once was one of the most powerful solutions of its kind. With its development stopped, this application slowly lost ground in front of other, constantly upgraded tools.
The program has everything you need it comes to BitTorrent clients, but there are some setbacks that could make you choose another solution. Because ABC is such an outdated application, the first thing you will notice is that most of the trackers out there don't support it anymore.
If you do manage to make it work, you will notice, as we did during our tests, that it isn't too friendly on your system. Besides the fact that it tends to eat up a lot of computer resources, while testing it, ABC became unresponsive several times when downloading large files and crashed.
Among the good features of this software you will find its ability to handle simultaneous downloads for several torrents which can be loaded either directly from the Internet or from a location on your hard drive. ABC also has support for resuming downloads and the settings menu offers a lot of customizations to many areas of the application.
All in all, the fact that it's an outdated product says a lot of things about ABC and no matter how much you want to use it, it's still not an easy job to have this tool function correctly.
ABC [ Yet Another Bittorrent Client ] description
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Single port core
· Several improvements to reduce cpu usage, display flicker, and otherwise cut down on undesirable behavior
· Some instances of 100% CPU usage bug may be fixed
· Should be able to run as a non-admin user
· Toolbars and context menu can now be customized
· Torrent list colors now customizable
· Advanced Details window
· Now customizable
· Separated "File Info" into "File Info" and "Torrent Info"
· Added more information to "Torrent Info"
· Torrent Maker
· Added support for more fields
· No longer scraping trackers that don't support scraping
· Updated to Python 2.4.2
· Updated to wxPython 2.6.1
· Updated to py2exe 0.6.2