Freenet is a software which lets you anonymously share files, browse and publish "freesites" (web sites accessible only through Freenet) and chat on forums, without fear of censorship.
This application is decentralised so as to make it less vulnerable to attacks, and when used in "darknet" mode, which means that users only connect to their pre-defined friends, it can be very difficult to detect.
Communications by Freenet nodes are encrypted and are routed through other nodes to make it extremely difficult to determine who is requesting the information and what its content is.
Users contribute to the network by giving bandwidth and a portion of their hard drive (called the "data store") for storing files. Files are automatically kept or deleted depending on how popular they are, with the least popular being discarded to make way for newer or more popular content.
Files are encrypted, so generally the user cannot easily discover what is in his datastore, and hopefully can't be held accountable for it. Chat forums, websites, and search functionality, are all built on top of this distributed data store.
· Java Runtime 1.4 or higher
· At least 128MB of RAM, so unless the system does nothing else it will struggle in less than 512MB.
· At least 650 MB of free disk space
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Tweak to how the connection limit is determined. This may cause a temporary performance loss while the network adjusts, but should improve average performance after that
· The new site-insert code is now default (except for persistent inserts e.g. on the uploads page). This should significantly improve performance of larger freesites. Also, there is a fix for the too-big-container bug
· Hooks for more sophisticated themes such as the darknet-freestyle theme
· Various user interface tweaks
· Support for :target in CSS3
· Fixes related to a new certificate for HTTPS on freenetproject.org (only an issue if using update.* or downloading plugins over HTTPS, otherwise the node doesn't talk to our webserver)
· Various minor code tidyups