Softpedia Editor's Review for MakeTorrent
Creates .torrent files for use with the BitTorrent p2p network
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 26th, 2012
The BitTorrent protocol has evolved so much that almost every single client that's on the market has the ability to create torrent files in a matter of seconds. But there was a time when only dedicated applications could do that and then you needed an application like MakeTorrent to perform that task.
MakeTorrent is actually a simple tool that's supposed to assist you when you need to build torrent files that will be then distributed over the Internet to be downloaded by other users.
The interface is very simple and the user has two available options to create a torrent file: simple and classic. No matter which one you choose, the result will still be the same.
Of course, there's also the possibility to create torrents from entire folders or just for one file, so it's only up to you and the content you wish to distribute.
The creation process takes only a few seconds and that's absolutely normal since this is only a basic operation. The app worked smoothly on our testing machines, however the built-in tracker list was not available. To go passed that, you can simply input the desired tracker manually.
MakeTorrent can also be used for editing existing files, you simple select and view their contents in the dedicated tab. It will enable you to modify the file names, tracker announce URL, torrent name and comment and even reset the file's creation date.
All things considered, MakeTorrent might be the right choice if you still don't get along with one of the popular BitTorrent clients that are also able to create torrents. It is very easy to use and will help you build and edit torrent files in no time.
Here are some key features of "MakeTorrent":
· Built-in Torrent Editor/Viewer
· Automatic update of trackers, as well as personal tracker support
· 2 modes: Simple and Classic
· Support for backup/multi trackers
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added new setting: auto-ignore thumbs.db (default: enabled)
· New command line parameter: -autosize .. try this if parts of the GUI are cut off
· Moved create torrent button up higher, in the case the above doesn't work.
· Added more piece sizes, up to 16mb (only use if you know what you're doing!)
· When a torrent has been created, the abort button now greys out and the finish button is focused