Softpedia Editor's Review for Tunngle
Next generation peer-to-peer VPN tool
Written by Giorgiana Arghire on December 21st, 2012
Playing games is no longer restricted only to one's computer, as more and more users from all over the world like to play against each other over the Internet or within the same network. Those who want to be able to enjoy their LAN games with people from the other side of the world can try Tunngle, a specialized VPN tool.
It needs to be mentioned that in order to make sure Tunngle functions without any glitches, users also need to install the additional drivers offered during installation. Furthermore, those who want to prevent the app to add a dedicated gadget to their desktop are advised to choose the Custom mode of installation.
Once the PC is restarted to complete the setup process, users can create an account or enter their credentials in order to be able to connect with the large community behind Tunngle. Users can not only login to existing networks depending on the game they want to play, but they can also join chats and make friends with other users who share the same interests.
Each game has its own dedicated virtual private network (VPN) and messages can be sent to any gamer in the same network, while the integrated messenger can also come in handy for getting acquainted with new persons. Creating a user profile can also come in handy for those who are looking to become friends with other gamers.
Considering Tunngle is created for a wide range of people who might or might not be tech-savvy, its default settings are enough to ensure smooth functioning of the app - further customization is available nonetheless, but not necessary.
To sum it up, Tunngle can be of great use to those who want to play LAN games with gamers located in another country, but it can also be used as a secure way to chat and have fun without needing to set up complex parameters.
Here are some key features of "Tunngle":
· Tunngle is a magic tool that will never let you down (even with the most troublesome games): its LAN emulation features are very powerful and will work with virtually any game that supports IP based LAN gaming.
· Tunngle is even more: you can use the Tunngle LAN emulation with virtually any program that has IP based network capabilities. You will never see a complete list of supported programs-games because it would be too long. Everything can work with Tunngle.
· Every network comes with a fully functional chat which you can use to communicate with every Tunngler active on that very same network. This chat is a powerful tool to arrange matches or to have some small talk. Bigger networks without LAN capabilities, like the Lobby, can be used for more general chat sessions (for example if you are searching players for a certain game or want to talk about the weather).
· Tunngle API is a really powerful tool for all those programs that need to interact with Tunngle itself.
· Using this interface, programs and scripts can have Tunngle perform a series of tasks.
· For example the API can be used to command Tunngle to jump in and out from networks. The Tunngle API works via a Launcher DLL. In addition, parameters can be passed to the new Tunngle auxiliary process (Launcher EXE).
Dynamic Tunngle IP:
· Each Tunngle Basic client receives a dynamic Tunngle IP upon Login. This IP is refreshed every time one logs in.
· *During beta everybody will receive a static IP instead.
· Tunngle features a powerful blacklist that will help you keep annoyances at bay. Cheaters, flooders, spammers have no place in the Tunngle Community. Banning is simple and quick. All it takes is a click on the offender nickname. You have the power to decide the duration and scope of the ban.
· Tunngle Public Networks are the core of the Tunngle Experience.
· One game, one (or more if needed) huge network where all the players from around the world can gather and play online.
· It's amazingly simple but yet very innovative. Tunngle Public Networks are a really powerful asset when it comes to have fun and meet new players.
· A couple of clicks! That's all it takes to play a game online. Discover the Tunngle Community, be a part of it. In one word: have fun! That's the power of Tunngle Public networks.
· As a Tunngle Basic user you can create one Basic Network for up to 32 Tunnglers. You can choose the network name and the password.
· Basic Networks aren't shown in the Tunngle Browser and aren't included in the Tunngle Network Search.
· A Basic Network will be deleted after three days of inactivity.
· It is always possible to recreate the network after it is deleted.
· Your Basic private network always comes with one reserved slot just for you.
· Private networks are intended to be an integration of our powerful Public Network-Clan Network program. This is the reason why they won't show up in the network browser.
· Tunngle uses its own network protocol for all the data transfer. This protocol is extremely fast and secure. Our main focus has been on reliability and performance during all the development stages. We intend to keep it this way.
· There are no limits for your creativity. You can use the free Almediadev Skinbuilder to create your own skin in the twinkling of an eye and any audio editor to modify the original sounds.
· Personalizing Tunngle for yourself, your friends or your clan couldn't be easier. Just fire up the skin builder and unleash your imagination!
· Tunngle uses the internationally approved Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
· This encryption algorithm won against its competitors in the year 2000 in a competition of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
· We are using the highest possible encryption level that this algorithm provides using a key length of 256 bit.
· The keys are exchanged using the secure RSA method with 2048 bit encryption. The abbreviation RSA is composed of the initials of the surnames of the developers Ronald L. Rivest, Adi Shamir und Leonard Adelman. This method was already developed in 1977 and still is the standard for applications that count on secure key exchange because of its mathematical properties.
· Tunngle Shares is a cool feature of the Tunngle integrated messenger that allows secure file transfers via an highly encrypted proprietary protocol. Tunngle Shares includes a tight permission control that allows each Tunngler to choose the shared folders and assign the access rights. The embedded download manager supports resuming of aborted/incomplete downloads. Tunngle uses its own protocol and its own rights management system and is designed to be totally independent of Windows file sharing.
· Tunngle Shares actively compresses the data that is being transferred. This, where compression is possible, allows faster file transfers and saves your bandwidth for other applications.
The Tunngle integrated Mini-Firewall protects the Tunngler from the serious attacks that otherwise would be possible in a normal LAN environment:
· Only connections above port 1024 are permitted.
· Only use of ICMP, UDP and TCP protocol on IPv4 basis.
· This means that there is no access to critical Windows system services.
Tunngle integrates a cool messenger that gives you the ability to:
· Create and maintain a buddy list
· Check the on-line state of your friends in real time
· Chat with your buddies over the private direct-chat
· Share media with your friends (Tunngle Shares)
· Use your Tunngle Web Signature in forums, blogs or on any other web page.
· To activate your personal Tunngle web signature, go to System - Options and enable the Web Signature checkbox.
· Note that it takes a little while to update your sig.
This is the path to your personal signature:
· Replace 'YourTunngleNickname' with your own registered Tunngle account name.
Search, Browse & Bookmark:
· No more network hunting! We provide powerful tools to be sure that you always find the right network for your game!
· With Tunngle you can find a net with just one click using the integrated full-text network search!
· As an alternative, the Tunngle network browser allows you to know exactly what's going on in the Tunngle world.
· Get a quick overview of all the public networks ordered by genre and know instantaneously where people are gathering.
· And if you love playing a certain game you can add a network bookmark for an even quicker selection of your preferred networks.
· Tunngle.Net and NationVoice.com have teamed up to offer a top quality voice service to the Tunngle Community.
· Tunngle Voice is completely free and allows the Tunngle Community members to voice-chat with each other using some of the most popular VoIP tools out there (Ventrilo for starters).
The current Tunngle Ventrilo Servers can be reached at:
· Europe: tunngle-eu.nationvoice.com:3784
· USA: tunngle-usa.nationvoice.com:3784
Class B/C Emulator:
· The C-Class (or B-Class) Emulator, that is active in many Tunngle networks, is indeed a great asset when it comes to gaming. As a matter of fact, a consistent number of games need a special IP range in order to establish a successful Local Area Network connection. This can often be the source of countless headaches during the preparation of the match, because of the bothering Class C/B errors popping all around.
· With Tunngle you can forget about these headaches! Tunngle automatically enforces the Class C/B Network type by emulating the required IP range. While you retain your current IP, all the other peers in the network will "receive" a different IP address compatible with yours. This ensures that you can easily create and join LAN games even with the most stubborn games.
· Personal Tunngle nickname
· Autojoin a network on Startup
· Network Logging
· Powerful Community Support
· Internet Connection
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Fixed: "Don't show again" option not working properly for the yellow help bar.
· Fixed: Chat log GUI control allows to edit text.
· Fixed: User ID missing from the leaving network notification.
· Fixed: Truncated yellow help bar text.
· Fixed: Bookmark panel right-click sorting glitch.