Softpedia Editor's Review for eMule
Filesharing client based on the eDonkey2000 protocol
Written by Elena Opris on October 3rd, 2012
eMule is a file sharing software, similar to StrongDC++ or ApexDC++. It is based on the eDonkey2000 protocol, so but connects to both eDonkey and Kad networks.
It facilitates the tranmissions of data between client nodes in a fast way. eMule’s advantage comes from the fact that it transfers files using the zlib-compressed format, thus saving a great deal of bandwidth.
The interface is intuitive, so getting around eMule is very simple. You first select a server you wish to connect to, and search for a particular file. If results are not immediately returned, don't despair. It may take eMule a while to get the wheels turning (download speed is usually fast, if the bitrate is good).
For example, when searching for an audio track to download, eMule displays the length of the file, format type, bitrate, and whether it has been already downloaded or not.
Each downloaded file directly goes into shared files, so you can further share it with the rest of the world, but you may also select files to upload from the Options menu.
In addition, you can chat with users and access IRC channels. The Options menu lets you reconfigure your username and language, save CPU and memory usage by disabling the Queue list and Known Clients list, but also select the font of the interface text.
Moreover, you can set the transfer capacity (download and upload limit), schedule a task (i.e. to-do list), enable MobileMule (with a password), and more.
In conclusion, eMule is a great file sharing client, one that doesn’t feed on all your bandwidth. It was and still is the basis of newer, more modern file sharing clients.
Here are some key features of "eMule":
· Clients use several networks to create one reliable network. (ED2K, Source Exchange, Kad)
· Kad is now in an open testphase, eMule v0.42 can be enabled to use Kad
· eMule's Queue and Credit system helps to ensure that everyone will get the file he wants by promoting those that upload back to the network
· Each file checked for corruptions while downloading to ensure an error free file
· The eMules Intelligent Corruption Control helps to speed up the correction of corrupted parts
· Auto priorities and Source management allows you to start many downloads without having to monitor them
· The Preview function allows you to look at your Videos and Archives before they are completed. For video previewing, we recommend the Video Lan Client
· The eMule features webservices and a webserver that allows you to have quick access to and from the internet
· You can create categories for your download to organize them
· To find the file you want, eMule offers a wide range of search possibilities which include: Servers (Local, and Global), web based (Jigle, and Filedonkey), and Kad (Still in Alpha)
· eMule also allows you to use very complex Boolean searches that make the searches much more flexible
· With the messaging and friend system, you can send messages to other Clients and add them as friends. In your friend list, you can always see if a friend is online
· With the build in IRC client, you can chat with other downloaders and chatters around the globe
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added preferences.ini-only option "ExtraPreviewWithMenu" (eMule section) which makes eMule put the "Preview with" command into the root context menu rather than into the preview menu (only applies to extended controls with multiple preview programs set)
· Added "Open preferences.ini" button to the extended options. Remember that you have to close eMule _before_ saving any changes if you want to edit any not preferences.ini-only settings
· AICH hashs work properly in all collection types now