Softpedia Editor's Review for qBittorrent
Download and create torrents
Written by Gabriela Vatu on December 28th, 2012
Over a decade after the BitTorrent protocol was first introduced, it’s still one of the most popular peer-to-peer file sharing techniques. qBittorent is a client designed for both downloading and creating torrents.
The software comes with a clean interface that’s easy to work with, thanks to the intuitive layout.
The app enables the simultaneous download of numerous files. However, when you choose to do this, keep in mind the bandwidth of the available Internet connection. The amount of time needed to download a file might lengthen considerably if there are too many items on the list.
The files are presented in a list along with the name, size, download status, number of seeds and peers and the download speed. Other columns can be added from the right-click menu. The process can be paused or resumed at will. Additionally, you can limit the download and upload speed, as well as the share ratio.
All torrents, old and new, can be checked from the interface. Thus, you can view all the files or only those that have completed downloading. Those that are incomplete or paused can also be viewed from the same frame.
The software comes with a default output folder that can be modified to suit your needs from the app’s “Options” menu. The maximum number of connections and that of the upload slots per torrent can also be modified.
Additionally, qBittorrent comes with another feature that enables you to create torrent files. The process is simple and only requires that you choose the file or folder from your disks and fill in a few fields, such as tracker URLs, web seeds URLS and a comment. The file can be uploaded immediately or set as “Private”, a feature that prevents the file to be distributed on the DHT network.
All in all, qBittorent is a great app that works quite fast. The software is easy to use, so inexperienced users should be able to quickly figure out all the program’s ins and outs.
Here are some key features of "qBittorrent":
· Simultaneous download of multiple torrents
· Integrated torrent search engine
· Integrated RSS feed reader and downloader
· Good internationalization
· DHT, PeX, Encryption, LSD, UPnP, NAT-PMP
· Very lightweight
· Torrent queueing and prioritizing
· Control over files in a torrent (filtering, prioritizing)
· IP filtering (eMule dat files or PeerGuardian files)
· Peer display with country and hostname resolution (qBittorrent v2.x)
· Advanced control over torrent trackers (qBittorrent v2.x)
· Torrent peer id spoofing to avoid tracker blacklisting
· Remote control through Secure Web User Interface
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· BUGFIX: Raise qBittorrent windows when another instance is launched
· BUGFIX: Show human readable names for network interfaces in preferences
· BUGFIX: Fix torrent creator bug when saving non-latin path
· BUGFIX: Enable 'copy magnet uri' for torrents without metadata too
· BUGFIX: Fix a few JSON parser issues
· BUGFIX: Add support for gzipped encoded HTTP responses
· BUGFIX: Fix possibly missing "Add torrent" icon
· OTHER: Add search plugin for Legit Torrents