| User Rating:
Very Good (4.2/5)
Softpedia Editor's Review for DownThemAll!
Adds new downloading capabilities to Firefox.
Written by Sorin Cirneala on December 12th, 2011
DownThemAll! is a cool Mozilla Firefox extension designed to help you save almost every item from a webpage with just a few clicks.
The add-on integrates perfectly in the browser and allows you to right click anywhere on the page and select the file you want to download. The confirmation window features a smart filter that can be used to quickly select certain file types.
The interface enables you to select multiple files to download. The files are added to a queue and downloaded to a local folder. You can customize the add-on to handle a specific number of simultaneous downloads at the same time.
There are plenty of settings you can modify to create your own profile; and you do not have to worry about doing something wrong because you can reset the configuration to default with one click.
The filters used for the download tasks can be modified extensively by creating new items, changing the file extensions and assigning them to a category. You can choose to access the add on only from the context menu but also from the Tools menu and the "save file" prompt window.
The downloader allows you to limit the bandwidth and features a multipart download method (splits the file into multiple pieces that are downloaded simultaneously). Thus, the download time is shortened considerably. Another important feature is the ability to pause downloads without losing data and to resume them at any time.
You can also find useful the rename options of the add on that allows you to create a name mask and use it for multiple files. Some preset tags are available, such as the URL name, the hour of the download or the item number.
DownThemAll! is a powerful tool that is easy to use but also provides a wide collection of functions that can satisfy the needs of every computer user.
Here are some key features of "DownThemAll!":
- Complete integration with Mozilla Firefox:
- You can easily access DownThemAll from the context menu, by right-clicking on any webpage, from tools menu, or simply by adding our cute handy icons to your toolbar.
- Have your page spidered with a single click:
- The dTa Select links window lists every single link, image or embed object contained in a webpage. This is a dream if you need to download a large amount of files in just a few seconds: simply select the files you need and youll be ready to start.
- Filtering has never been easier:
- Selecting the files you want to download can be even faster, once youve set your personal inclusive filters. In this case youll just have to select the filter you want to apply, and all the files matching your criteria will be automatically downloaded. All filters are configurable from dTa preferences window and can include wildcards [*, ?] as well as regular expressions. There is also a live-filter that allows you to refine your selection dynamically!
- Advanced auto-renaming options:
- All files downloaded by dTa can be easily auto-renamed according to your personal needs. There are plenty of tags you can use to build destination filenames and directories, including: date and time of download, website URL, link description and many more!
- Increase your download speed up to 400%:
- DownThemAll features a smart download technique called multipart download. It splits files into multiple sections, which are downloaded simultaneously. This maximized use of bandwidth increases average download speed up to 400%.
- You can manually add or remove sections whenever you want during the download, and you can choose the maximum number of chunks every file is split into.
- Pause and resume your downloads:
- DownThemAll can pause and restart downloads at any time, without losing data. You can move your files up and down in the queue in order to give them a priority order.
- In case a file already exists, you can choose whether your downloads have to be renamed, overwritten or aborted just by setting a default behavior.
- You can customize time-out interval, as well as the maximum number of simultaneous downloads.
- Customize notifications, choosing between Firefox sidebox alerts, alert boxes, or simply nothing at all.
- If you want it, dTa can close the source tab when the download starts.
- You can choose to close dTa automatically when all downloads are completed.
- Various compatibility fixes for Firefox Nightly and/or Aurora
- Some performance improvements
- Fixed a nasty memory leak (DTA 2 not affected)
- Added a way to explicitly specify file names for single downloads and later on rename files by hand.
- Various minor fixes
- Various other improvements
- Some other minor bugfixes and improvements