Softpedia Editor's Review for SpywareBlaster
Prevent the installation of spyware and other potentially unwanted software!
Written by Elena Opris on August 23rd, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for SpywareBlaster
SpywareBlaster is a very effective tool designed to block out ActiveX spyware that attempts to infiltrate inside your computer. It focuses on adware, dialers, hijackers and several other threats involving spying and tracking. It does so by allowing you to set various filters and rules for browser clients installed on your system.
SpywareBlaster features support for Internet Explorer (and a selection of IE-based browsers, such as Avant, SlimBrowser, Maxthon, GreenBrowser and Crazy Browser) and Firefox, Netscape, SeaMonkey, Pale Moon and K-Meleon.
Its interface is great - very easy to follow and very appealing. Whether you are an experienced user or an amateur, you can quickly understand its features and functions.
The first tab is where you can view the protection status of the browsers and the restricted sites (a list of websites known to be dangerous). Browser protection is ensured by blocking any installation of ActiveX-based spyware or software and cookies.
System Snapshot is a very important function of SpywareBlaster that allows you to create and restore backups of browser and system settings you consider to be important.
The Tools section allows you to configure web page settings for Internet Explorer e.g. start page, search page, search bar), create backups for the Hosts file, completely disable Flash content and downloads, as well as create a list of ActiveX controls you want to block.
Updates can be performed either manually or automatically, and memory resources are fairly used when SpywareBlaster is active.
To conclude, SpywareBlaster is a fierce fighter against malware and is surprisingly effective, for such a simple and non-demanding software.
Here are some key features of "SpywareBlaster":
· Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs.
· Block spying / tracking via cookies.
· Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted or dangerous web sites.
· SpywareBlaster can help keep your system secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web. And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background. It works alongside the programs you have to help secure your system.
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Google Chrome support
· Improved Windows 8 support
· Improved support for the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox.
· Numerous other bug fixes, optimizations, and tweaks.