Softpedia Editor's Review for UltraVNC
Remote control software to access distant computers
Written by Bogdan Popa on March 20th, 2012
Read an in-depth analysis in our professional review for UltraVNC
Remote controlling a computer is already a common activity and in some cases it's practically mandatory because it's the only way to deal with a buggy machine over the Internet.
In case the 'Remote Desktop Connection' tool included in Windows is not enough for you, UltraVNC comes into play as one of the most powerful software solutions in the market, providing almost everything you could ask for for remote administration.
The installation process is the moment when you'll be prompted to choose how exactly you intend to use UltraVNC, as a server, as a client or both. Of course, there are also many other configuration steps you can customize, but it's better to leave all options the way they are if you're not an experienced user.
Using UltraVNC as a server will require two different passwords, one for full control of the computer and one for the view mode only. As a client however, you'll need the server's IP and the password to establish a connection.
UltraVNC works amazingly fast, as the whole process goes pretty smooth. Probably the most impressive thing is that UltraVNC remains very friendly with hardware resources on both computers and enables you to choose even the resolution you want to use on the remote machine.
All in all, UltraVNC seems to be one of the best tools of its kind and in case you're looking for a remote control software solution, this may very well be the number one choice.
Here are some key features of "UltraVNC":
· Auto configuration and Quick Options for easy connections.
· Viewer Toolbar for a quick access to the main functions and greatly improved ergonomy.
· High Speed. On W2000 and XP, Ultr@VNC can use an additional and optionnalVideo Hook Driver (aka Mirror Driver) that dramatically improves performancesand reduces CPU activity over LAN connections. So when the bandwidthis good - typically over a LAN - Ultr@VNC lets you work on a remotecomputer with an incredible 'real-time' feeling (hundreds of screenupdates per second), just as if you were sitting in front of it. AWinVNC server under Win9x uses the standard hookdll in combinationwith ddi hooking to improve the updateshandling. Ultr@VNC also features an ultra fast Fullscreen Pollingmode without any additionnal driver.Whatever the connection speed, Ultr@VNC brings you optimal comfort.Note that this driver is distributed separatly from Ultr@VNC.
· Embedded File Transfer with intuitive Graphical User Interface allowingfor easy file copy between local and remote computers. It uses the currentVNC connection and files are compressed during their transfer.File transfers can be asynchronous so screen updates can continue while a file is being transfered in background.The delta transfer mode allows to resume interrupted transfers.
· MS Logon/NT security support. You can manage server access using MS Users,Domains and Groups. It also includes a logging feature where all actions arewritten to a log file.
· Bandwidth Saving Strategies that provide optimal responsiveness over slowconnections: Server Screen Scaling, Cache Management , Local Cursor handling,reduced colors modes (256, 64, 8, Grey scales).
· Advanced JavaViewer featuring FileTransfer, MSLogon and reduced color modes.
· Data Stream Modification Plugin System allowing any kind of operation on thedata exchanged between client and server, from an external DLL (independant,not linked and not distributed with UltraVNC): additionnal rights checking,communication timing, data recording/persitence, encryption...it's up to the DLL developper.
· Optionnal "always-on-top" Viewer Status Window dynamically displayingconnection informations.
· Various View Modes including Full-Screen, Scaled and Windowed. Full-Screenmode lets you see the remote screen on the entire screen of your display.Scaled Viewer mode lets you see the scaled remote screen in a window with auser defined size. Scaled Server mode generates less network traffic fromserver side and use a pixel blending algorithm to optimize the display.Fuzzy Mode combines Server and Viewer scaling to provide reasonable visualcomfort and speed even over very slow connections.The Autoscaling mode scales the view so it fits the viewer screen.
· Dynamic Single Window/Full Desktop view switching, from viewer side.
· Server's Desktop resolution switching without disconnection.
· Dynamic Mouse and Keyboard locking on remote server, from viewer side.
· Server Screen Blanking, from viewer side
· Embedded Client/Server Text Chat.
· Possibility to send Ctrl-Alt-Del to the remote server(when WinVNC is run as a service), or any other special key.
· Support for 32/24/16/8 bits colors.Both UltraVNC Viewer and Server are compatible with RealVNC, TightVNC, eSVNC,PalmVNC2 (with server scaling feature)...UltraVNC server can work as a Service under all supported operating systems,allowing remote user Logon/Logoff as well as Remote Shutdown.
· Connectivity: Standard Viewer and HTTP JavaViewer connections over TCP/IP,as well as XDMCP direct X11 connection (still experimental).
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· fixed change ip detection, sometimes server was disconnected after a few seconds by a false positive
· new installer xp64 wasn’t supported
Users are advised to pay attention while installing this ad-supported application:
· Displays ad banners or other types of advertising material during its runtime