Softpedia Editor's Review for Proxifier
Bypass firewall, tunnel connections through HTTP and SOCKS proxy servers
Written by Bogdan Popa on April 5th, 2012
Proxies still play an important role in Internet filtering and connectivity, especially for users who struggle to bypass restrictions and firewall rules that block certain websites and services.
Proxifier is an application that aims to help you take another step towards total freedom on the Internet, as it is designed to grant you access to any online resource through your very own proxy, no matter the software solution you use.
As you may already know, some of the Windows apps we're using do not come with built-in proxy support, so it's almost impossible to start them if there's a firewall restriction in place. But not if you use Proxifier. This application has been designed to enable any program to access the Internet through a proxy, no matter if it has such an option or not.
The user interface may seem a bit overwhelming at first glance, but there's nothing too complicated. The proxy servers can be configured in a couple of seconds, while setting the rules is only a matter of a few clicks through Proxifier's menus.
Perhaps a small inconvenient is that you will need your very own proxy, so the application isn't able to scan the Internet and give you one. During our tests, however, it was very easy to create so-called 'Proxification Rules' that allow selected applications to use specific ports on specific target hosts.
Another plus for Proxifier is that it comes with detailed logs to inform you which programs are using the proxy or not, as well as detailed traffic statistics to check out what's happening at any given moment.
Overall, Proxifier offers a great experience as it supports a very wide range of applications and remains very light on computer resources.
Here are some key features of "Proxifier":
· Run any network applications through a proxy server. No special configuration is required for the software; the entire process is completely transparent.
· Access the Internet from a restricted network through a proxy server gateway.
· Bypass firewall restrictions.
· “Tunnel” the entire system (force all network connections including system connections to work through a proxy server).
· Resolve DNS names through a proxy server.
· Use flexible Proxification Rules with hostname and application name wildcards.
· Secure privacy by hiding your IP address.
· Work through a chain of proxy servers using different protocols.
· View information on current network activities (connections, hosts, times, bandwidth usage, etc.) in real-time.
· Maintain log files and traffic dumps.
· Get detailed reports on network errors.
· 31 days trial
· Nag screen
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Full support for Windows 8 desktop applications.
· Windows 8 Metro (Windows Store) applications now work correctly when Proxifier Standard Edition is installed and running but they still completely bypass it.
· Correct processing of IP4-mapped IPv6 addresses. Some applications like Java use such addresses even in IPv4 network environment.
· SOCKS4 User ID has not been saved properly in profile in some scenarios.
· Miscellaneous small improvements and adjustments.