Softpedia Editor's Review for Adobe Shockwave Player
View the best animation and entertainment on the Web
Written by Ciprian Paius on January 13th, 2012
Much of the online entertainment media available on the Internet requires Flash Player or Shockwave Player Internet browser plugins in order to be rendered.
Although Flash Player is a more frequent occurrence on the day by day web-surfing experience, required for a wide range of web applications, interactive online advertising or websites, Shockwave Player is the designated tool for the deployment of demanding 3D web applications, online games or complex real-world physics simulations.
Adobe Shockwave Player offers users the possibility to enjoy the high-quality 3D graphics of interactive presentations or applications involving a significant amount of charting or calculating, but it is mostly used for its online gaming deployment capabilities.
The software offers playback support for applications developed using Adobe Director, a superior tool mainly used for its hardware-accelerated 3D, and support for various network protocols.
If you want to make sure you can open all the latest Adobe Director applications you have to keep your Shockwave Player up to date. This is quite simple, since any application that requires Adobe Shockwave Player to run, redirects you to the latest version of the plugin.
The installation takes only a few seconds and in no time at all you can enjoy the desired online multimedia content. There is no user interface for the application or settings you have to worry about. It fully integrates in your Internet browser and can always be disabled in the Plugins section.
Adobe Shockwave Player description
· Intel Pentium 4 processor
· 512MB of RAM
· Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 or
· Firefox 2.0 or 3.0
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Shockwave Player 188.8.131.522 and earlier versions on the Windows and Macintosh operating systems. These vulnerabilities, including CVE-2010-3653, referenced in Security Advisory APSA10-04, could allow an attacker, who successfully exploits these vulnerabilities, to run malicious code on the affected system. Adobe recommends users of Adobe Shockwave Player 184.108.40.2062 and earlier versions update to Adobe Shockwave Player 220.127.116.115 using the instructions provided above.
· This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-3653).
· NOTE: There are reports that this issue is being exploited in the wild.
· This update resolves a memory corruption vulnerability in the dirapi.dll module that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2581).
· This update resolves a heap-based buffer overflow vulnerability that could lead to code execution (CVE-2010-2582).
· This update resolves a stack over...