Softpedia Editor's Review for BlackBerry Desktop Software
Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC
Written by Bogdan Popa on June 25th, 2012
Getting the most out of your BlackBerry device is usually hassle-free for anyone using the dedicated official software solution, namely BlackBerry Desktop Software. It is addressed to beginners and experienced users alike and it brings a set of very useful features wrapped in a quite pleasant interface.
If you had the chance to work with other utilities that are designed to get you in touch with a mobile device, BlackBerry Desktop Software will be no different. Just connect the phone to the computer and you can perform a variety of tasks like backups or file synchronizations, copy music, pictures or videos, manage emails and many more.
This application will enable you to establish a connection between the device and the computer using Bluetooth or an USB cable. If you need superior transfer speeds though, the second options is highly recommended.
Once you successfully connect the BlackBerry, the software automatically checks for updates and, if any are available, prompts you to install the new firmware and/or applications. It all depends on the Internet connection and the mobile phone, but it took only about 10 minutes during our test to load the updates.
One of the greatest features is the one that helps you migrate files from one BlackBerry to another, so in case you've just purchased a new device, keeping your important files isn't a problem at all.
Overall, BlackBerry Desktop Software is a must-have application in case you're a BlackBerry user. With its nice and friendly interface and thanks to the strong feature pack, this application will surely accommodate even the more demanding users.
BlackBerry Desktop Software description
Here are some key features of "BlackBerry Desktop Software":
· BlackBerry Desktop Software features an updated interface and user-friendly menu that allow you to simply connect, synchronize, manage and update your BlackBerry smartphone.
· Transfer your favorite media files to and from your BlackBerry smartphone. Import your desktop iTunes or Windows Media files and carry your music, photos and videos with you wherever you go.
· Keep track of the applications you use the most or don't use as often on your BlackBerry smartphone. Add and remove applications, games, and much more.
· Keep your BlackBerry smartphone software up to date and running smoothly with automatic alerts that prompt you when updates are available.
· BlackBerry Desktop Software is compatible with Microsoft Outlook, Windows Calendar, IBM Lotus Notes, and Yahoo!. Keep your organizer information in sync so you don't miss a thing.
· Changing to a new BlackBerry smartphone? Use the device switch wizard to migrate from one BlackBerry smartphone to another.
· Intel compatible 1GHz or higher processor
· 512 MB of RAM
· USB 1.1 or higher USB port
· Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater
· 100 MB of free hard disk space for typical installation
· Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 or an active Internet connection
· iTunes 7.7.1 or later or Windows Media Player version 10 or later for music synchronization
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
New features and enhancements:
· New software to synchronize organizer data
· The BlackBerry Desktop Software uses new software to synchronize organizer data (calendars, contacts, tasks, and memos) between your BlackBerry smartphone and your computer. The organizer data configuration screens in the BlackBerry Desktop Software have been refreshed to improve the setup experience.
· Improved media synchronization
· You can choose to import individual pictures and videos from your smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to your computer.
· Previously, the BlackBerry Desktop Software was minimized in the system tray even though the Minimize to system tray option hadn't been selected.
· Previously, if the BlackBerry Desktop Software wasn't maximized on your computer and you connected a device that required a password, the password prompt was hidden behind other applications on your computer.
· Previously, when setting up a new BlackBerry sma...